Heckmondwike Grammar 2018 exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum-of-two

Heckmondwike Grammar 2018 exam

Post by mum-of-two »

Hi all

My DS took the Heckmondwike exam this morning and while I was waiting to collect him I heard someone else in the queue say that there are about 2000 that sit this exam. Is this correct? I cant find anything on this forum to confirm this.

Now the long wait til the 12th Oct!
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Re: Heckmondwike Grammar 2018 exam

Post by eaglesrest »

The HGS site states 800 applicants for 180 places:
https://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/admission ... questions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"How many places are available in year 7?

The admission number for the school is 180.

How many applications does the school receive?

Typically, over 800 pupils register for the entrance examination each year."
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Thanks eaglesrest.

I missed that on the website... where the other mum got 2000 from though I don't know!
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

mum-of-two wrote:Thanks eaglesrest.

I missed that on the website... where the other mum got 2000 from though I don't know!
Probably felt like that number based on the length of the queues today ;)
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Yes, there did seem to be a lot of queuing and long lines of people! Getting out of Heck proved a challenge too.

It's over now so roll on the 12th October....
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

... and then if they pass, another 5 months for the formal offer, unless you are in catchment etc.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Yes eaglesrest but as I understand it HGS will give you an indication (although I appreciate its not a guarantee) as to whether you are likely to get in.

We are out of catchment so unless my DS score is outstanding, we'll either be in limbo or out of the race completely!
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

As I understand it the results letter will simply state pass or fail with no other information.

Based on 2017 stats, which was a 210 intake, 1/3 of entrants came from catchment and siblings, the remainder on highest passing score.

I guess you can call on the 12th and ask, but this year there will also be a number (?) of allocated places based on music ability or passing the fitness test in late October. I can't see how they can indicate if a student who is dependant on passing score alone, is likely to be offered a place, until they know how many are likely to pass the fitness test.

I believe passing the test indicates top 10% fitness ability in the UK, rather than them taking the top 10% of entrants, and therefore they could have any number of students pass.

We are out of catchment too (just). I wish it was simpler!
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Can they make the process any more complicated? I didn't cotton onto the fitness/music ability element....

We are not pinning our hopes on the Heckmondwike exam as we are local to Crossley and North Halifax so sitting that exam next Saturday. Heckmondwike was a back up option for us as my DS is naturally more suited to the style of that exam rather than the GL of the Halifax exam.

I don't know if my nerves can stand up to the stress of this.... and I have it all to do again in 2 years time!
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

Good you've got a backup. Our eggs are all in for HGS.

Good luck! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now