How to choose best school - Arooma's thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

arooma

How to choose best school - Arooma's thread

Post by arooma »

Mumof3nurds wrote:We are in Leeds but will move near the best school for our DD.She is very polite and we don’t want to put her in an environment where she faces problems.She got 237 in Ripon test and cut off was 203 for in area students.For Skipton they didn’t tell us any marks but they said she really did well and she had a guarantee place in heckmondwike.But one of my friend told me that Heckmondwike is not for her.We are so confused.Its such a difficult decesion that I couldn’t sleep.So if I choose Skipton do you think it’s better than heckmondwike?we moved to Leeds 2 years ago.But kids primary school is really good and academic.I m really upset mum asgoing to decide a High school for my oldest☹️☹️☹️☹️

my dd passed too and I am cunfysed too have to sort out transport..
mitasol

Re: How to choose best school

Post by mitasol »

Welcome Arooma,

I have split your post into a new thread.

Where are you based and which school are you looking at? You can often find transport information on the school website.
arooma

Re: How to choose best school

Post by arooma »

mitasol wrote:Welcome Arooma,

I have split your post into a new thread.

Where are you based and which school are you looking at? You can often find transport information on the school website.
Actually my daughter passed halifax grammar school and skipton ...we r looking a transport from leeds.If someone chikd going halifax or skioton grammar school.before applying I have to arrange transport from leeds
hermanmunster

Re: How to choose best school - Arooma's thread

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Arooma

Congrats to your DD on passing the exams - I don't know about Halifax but unless you have PP you are unlikely to get a place at such a distance from Skipton - have you checked with the school re this?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The Halifax schools are an option from Leeds but I am not sure of the transport choices available. If nobody turns up with answers then I suggest you ring the Halifax schools and ask about the school transport options. I did not find any information on their website. If there is nothing to Leeds then you would have to look up regular bus and train services to Halifax.

I think you need to check if the Skipton schools are a realistic option. Perhaps ring the schools and find out if they have ever allocated to Leeds.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

There are very limited arranged transport links to Halifax Grammars outside of Calderdale. From Leeds you will have to get a bus or train to Halifax and then another bus from the depot to the Grammar school. It would be too far to walk from the train station to the school.

I would imagine there are a number of children who commute long distances to the Halifax Grammars as they don't have catchment areas. Did you not look into Heckmondwike as I would have thought that an easier commute from Leeds? Anyway, using public transport from Leeds, I would envisage you are looking at over an hours travel each way. It took me that long to commute to work in Leeds city centre, and that was using my car to get me to the train station.

There may be car share arrangements or private hire but I dont know any details. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to help you.
mum-of-two
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now