Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
haniya11plus

Why Do Parents prefer GS

Post by haniya11plus »

Hi All

Just wondering why parents choose or prefer GS
I have seen children from comprehensive schools finish universities with good Job offers.
feel nervous sometimes what if my daughters dont get place in GS
will it really affect on their future ? :(
scary mum

Re: Why Do Parents prefer GS

Post by scary mum »

Mostly snob value. It won't affect their chances, the vast majority of children in this country don't have access to grammar schools & plenty of them do just fine.
scary mum
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

It really scares me
how much parents spending time and money on tuitions and travel for GS prep
still children don't get an offer and also one full year stress

does this really worth it ?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think this forum can make it seem like it is more important than it really is. GS take a group of bright children at eleven and it is hardly surprising that most continue to well- which is reflected in the league tables. Other schools with a mixed ability can look less attractive in comparison but that does not mean they are not achieving equally good results with their brighter children.

It really should not be necessary to go to the expense on a tutor. People tend to spend money on tutors because they don't feel confident about working with their children or they don't have the time. There are plenty of resources to work on good basic levels of Maths, English and VR.

Only you can decide if it is worth it. You really don't want your child to think GS is the only goal and that not qualifying is the end of the world. Children from all types of schools go on to be successful both academically and professionally.
Tigermum999

Post by Tigermum999 »

I think it depends on the individual child and knowing which type of school would suit them. My ds1 is a total geek and has dyspraxia making him useless at all sports except running so he would have struggled in my opinion at a large comprehensive and would have been a prime candidate for bullying as he is quiet and non confrontational, he is thriving at the smaller grammar school and they support his dyspraxia. Ds2 would have been fine at any school but wanted to follow his brother so we gave him the same opportunity.
I have friends and relatives with children at comprehensive schools that are bright and thriving but it's all about the individual child.