Nhgs...do they"need" a smartphone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JustAMum86

Nhgs...do they"need" a smartphone

Post by JustAMum86 »

At the incoming parent evening the teachers mentioned the children sometimes use their smartphones in lessons to Google or do activities set in class.

We were planning on buying our son a cheap phone just in case he needs to get hold of us on the way home, etc. Not a smartphone as he has a tablet at home.

Anyone who's children are already at nhgs... Do they really need a smartphone or has your child managed without?

Thanks
mum-of-two

Re: Nhgs...do they"need" a smartphone

Post by mum-of-two »

Sorry I don't have the answer but I didn't want to read and run.

Unless they have wifi (which I doubt) my DS will struggle. Whilst he has a 'smartphone' he only has 50MB of data a month so will soon expire that if he needs it at Crossleys! Its our info evening tonight so I guess I'll find out for us.

I cant imagine that every child will have a smartphone/endless data (although I guess many will) but it does seem a bit divisive.
mum-of-two
SenecaPliny

Post by SenecaPliny »

Hi OP, we were at the information evening yesterday and Mr Fisher definitely said that school has laptops available for classroom use for those students without smartphones. My daughter doesn’t yet have any type of phone and I’m trying to delay the inevitable a little longer following yesterday’s technology presentation (those statistics about sexting/naked photos and *********** use among preteens and teens horrified me - as did the figure that 50 per cent of 11-16-year-olds sneakily remove parental controls to access inappropriate content). Plus, we currently have enough moody door-slamming and generally objectionable behaviour so I fear a smartphone would prove to be a weapon of mass destruction as far as a pleasant and harmonious family life is concerned!

We enjoyed the information evening and my daughter is really excited for the transition day on Friday. I can’t wait for her to start at NHGS now, I feel reassured that she will be in safe and caring hands.

How did you find it? Was your child happy with their form allocation? All the children seemed to be buzzing with excitement when they met up with parents at the end of the separate sessions.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

A smartphone may be useful but it is not essential. If it is necessary to use the internet there may be other options or sharing devices. The school has WiFi but it can be a bit patchy on some phones.

DD said many but not all kids would have a smartphone.
JustAMum86

Post by JustAMum86 »

Thanks...I am probably worried in case everyone else in his class whip out smartphones to Google and my son having to ask for a laptop.

We have been delaying the buying a phone, because of all the worries in the presentation last night, so happy to wait before getting him one, just don't want him being the only one and being a target for any ridicule or bullying. (This is probably me overthinking every decision lol)

Yes my son is very excited for Friday, he's happy with his form. He did come out saying he couldn't remember his teachers name and he didn't speak to anyone (probably overwhelmed by it all), so hoping on Friday he actually speaks to someone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now