Grammar or state schools Bradford - need some advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
animas1234

Grammar or state schools Bradford - need some advice

Post by animas1234 »

Hi everyone.

I currently reside in Bradford and I am torn as to whether to send my daughter to a grammar school or go for the normal secondary state schools. I have searched for good state and grammar schools in Bradford and currently Dixons trinity is higher with the progress 8 scores than north halifax grammar. Does any one have children who attend nhgs or crossley Heath? If so please could you tell me if they are good schools? And what these schools have to offer compared to state schools? Any advice would be appreciated as Moved to Bradford 7 years ago now and unsure as to whether the grammar schools here are good.
mitasol

Re: Grammar or state schools Bradford - need some advice

Post by mitasol »

Grammar schools are State schools, the difference is they select by ability in the form of an entrance test. So the cohort in Grammar School is likely to be stronger than at a Comprehensive, which is reflected in their results. Both teach the national curriculum and you would need to look more closely at individual Schools to see if there were any differences.

It is also good to consider transport issues as I’m not sure there are quick and easy public transport options between Dixons and the Calderdale GS.

A good progress 8 score means that the children make good progress through school. It aims to capture the progress a pupil makes from the end of primary school to the end of secondary school. It is a type of value added measure, which means that pupils’ results are compared to the actual achievements of other pupils with similar prior attainment.

If you have a good catchment school that you are happy with then all your problems are small and you have options. My kids went to North Halifax, and I was very happy with the school, but if I had an outstanding catchment school with easy transport and sibling priority, I may have chosen differently.

Some advice on choosing a school
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... g-a-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
animas1234

Re: Grammar or state schools Bradford - need some advice

Post by animas1234 »

Thankyou so much for your help and advice
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now