Advice appreciated-Halifax,West Yorkshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

seaskystar

Post by seaskystar »

[quote="Haze"]Hello everyone.
I'm in calderdale too, with a son in year 5, so just wanted to say Hi to everyone :D

Hi, I've got a Y5 child as well.

Either of the grammars will be able to tell you about their pre-test and I think it is also on the NHGS web site.

I am trying to find out what the pass rate is, friends in other parts of the country have said that in their area it is 75% but is there a published pass rate for calderdale? Presumably it varys from year to year with standardisation anyway.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Hi;
Replied to you on your other thread too :)

Now sure what the pass rate is but I think there's usually about 1000 sitting for 310 places. I think someone said how many sat this year earlier in this thread.
seaskystar

Post by seaskystar »

Haze wrote:Hi;
Replied to you on your other thread too :)

Now sure what the pass rate is but I think there's usually about 1000 sitting for 310 places. I think someone said how many sat this year earlier in this thread.
About 800 from what I heard.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think for the last couple of years around 850 have sat the exam.
I don't think anyone knows what the pass rate is because it varies from year to year. I have heard 87% mentioned but that is speculation :roll:

The candidates are placed in rank order after the test so the school allocates kids from this list until 310 places are filled.
Haze

Post by Haze »

So I'm guessing there isn't really a "Pass" mark. It's just a question of whether you came in the top 310 out of everyone who sat.
seaskystar

Post by seaskystar »

Haze wrote:So I'm guessing there isn't really a "Pass" mark. It's just a question of whether you came in the top 310 out of everyone who sat.
It sounds like it but in Kent and Manchester they have a pass rate, but then they apparently take all students in catchment area who have passed.

In Calderdale don't they take children who don't live in Calderdale? Maybe that is something for the consultation, that the Calderdale schools are for Calderdale children.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Seaskystar wrote:In Calderdale don't they take children who don't live in Calderdale? Maybe that is something for the consultation, that the Calderdale schools are for Calderdale children.
Hi again,

Although the LEA consultation is ongoing until March the deadline to send in comments to Grammar Schools is much sooner. Off the top of my head I think 6th of Feb. The LEA itself does not decide admissions policy for these schools.

You need to get your skates on if you want to raise issues!

(I have added the school links to the 2010 Consultation thread)