Practice papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Trafford32

Practice papers

Post by Trafford32 »

On Bond, CGP and FPTP, what sort of percentages are considered good?

DD really struggling with NVR in particular for which she scores 50% or so. On verbal and maths she is better around 60-80%.

In Trafford is that considered good or bad or average?

Some of the NVR I have tried myself and they are not easy. Especially cube nets and 3D - is that likely questions on CEM?
KaB£H1s3

Re: Practice papers

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

We've not done any practise papers yet. I don't think we'll do any till Easter at the earliest. Are you timing the tests? Are the scores your DD is getting within the time limit? 50% sounds quite good to me at this stage. My DS probably wouldn't get through half the questions in a timed test, let alone get 50% correct.

We're working through the CGP books and we're still on mostly on 9-10. The books state what's considered a good score in the back. e.g. anything less than 39 out of 46 needs more practise.

You've (we've) still got 7/8 months to go to the test so I'd not be concerned about any weak areas. Kids will develop a lot in the remaining time.

Maybe work through the NVR books yourself, you'll be able to explain it to your DD if you can solve them. Or read the solution from the book without letting on that you find it difficult. CGP books are good for explaining the answers.

Edit: do you have a tutor? What's the tutors feedback? We're using a tutor. I'd be a quivering bag of nerves without our tutor.
Trafford32

Post by Trafford32 »

Thanks for this very helpful reply.

We are self tutoring at home. It’s not easy. Especially when it comes to technique and how to approach NVR. Maths and English are easier to tutor.

We’ve reached a point where our daughter is better at NVR than we are :?
Te82

Post by Te82 »

My son sat the entrance exams last October and will be starting secondary school in September. I’d say alongside the practise books, if you can, try and book a mock exams through one of the centres.

There are a couple in urmston but I’d say they were valuable at putting him an exam environment, introducing him to the actual style of paper and getting him used to answering the questions at speed away from home.

Good luck, I’m glad I only have to go through the process once
choceyes

Post by choceyes »

I would second the suggestion of mock tests. I have been through the process twice, last year and the year before. They were invaluable to get them used to doing the exam in a hall full of other candidates.

The NVR is usually the hardest I'd say in the actual exam, at least the most time constrained, in both the years that my kids sat it and they are quite good at NVR usually, getting about 90% in practise papers and mocks.

Before the exam, mine were getting in the 80-85% mark in the CPG tests, and this translated into very good scores on the actual test.

Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now