CEM Consortium Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mem73

Re: CEM Consortium Results

Post by mem73 »

TinyTroll wrote:We have a difference of 22 marks between AGSfB and Stretford, this seems like a huge gap! Is this normal?
This doesnt seems normal. We have difference of 22 as well. I called AGSB but they were unhelpful on this. Only said results have been checked completely and there is no option for internal review.

My son is Feb born, He passed all other 3 but came close to finishing line of AGSB. I still fail to understand, why this difference is so huge. is this particular age group disadvantaged due to standardisation?

These are same 5000-6000 kids applying in all these schools, which cohort is different. I believe same guys have applied to AGSB and same to Stratford, so how AGSB cohort could be different than Stratford?

Is it possible AGSB have given different weights to different sections of test?
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

mem73 wrote:
TinyTroll wrote:We have a difference of 22 marks between AGSfB and Stretford, this seems like a huge gap! Is this normal?
This doesnt seems normal. We have difference of 22 as well. I called AGSB but they were unhelpful on this. Only said results have been checked completely and there is no option for internal review.

My son is Feb born, He passed all other 3 but came close to finishing line of AGSB. I still fail to understand, why this difference is so huge. is this particular age group disadvantaged due to standardisation?

These are same 5000-6000 kids applying in all these schools, which cohort is different. I believe same guys have applied to AGSB and same to Stratford, so how AGSB cohort could be different than Stratford?

As some of the posters have said, it is normal (there has been a difference of around 20 marks between Stretford and Altrincham Girls in past years). Although it seems strange as it is one exam, some children will ask for their test to be considered for all of the schools, but some children will ask for their test to be considered just for Altrincham (AGGS or AGSB), or maybe Altrincham and Sale. They wouldn't consider going to Urmston or Stretford for instance because of the distance. That means the "cohort" for standardisation at Stretford is different to the cohort for AGSB.

Also, you are right that the schools will weight the test differently to convert the raw scores to the result your child gets. AGSB/AGGS weight it so that they have (I think from memory) about 300-400 children who pass, Stretford for instance has much higher numbers of children who pass (900+).
mmm1980

Post by mmm1980 »

we considered only AGSB and Sale, the other schools are too far away for us to be an option. For my son the difference between AGSB and
Sale was 14.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

mem73 wrote:

The cohort at Alty Boys cannot be the same cohort as Stretford. Alty Boys is single sex and Stretford is mixed sex.

Further to this, I know of people who didn't apply to 4 schools. People do choose 1, 2 or 3 for many different reasons.

I do think the different schools weigh the tests differently, but I've not got any evidence to support this belief. On the Sale Grammar website it says (something like) differences in scores between different schools are down to cohort. And, the way the 3 subjects are combined is confidential. However, I don't see the same thing on Alty Boys site.

Are you happy with the 3 your DS passed? It's an amazing achievement. Congratulations! :)

Edit: my mistake, the exact same thing is written at Alty Boys as Sale. So the weightings must be the same and the cohort is the only difference. Information Book link https://www.agsb.co.uk/media/96478/2022 ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trafford32

Post by Trafford32 »

AGSB around 300 candidates will get 334.

At Stretford over 1000 candidates will get 334.

Stretford standardise the scores in a way that gets more candidates above the pass mark of 334.

Many won’t apply to both. AGSB is boys only, Stretford is co-Ed.

Stretford is near Manchester and gives places to top 20 candidates regardless of distance so it attracts some candidates from Manchester who would be well outside catchment area for AGSB.

ASGB has a small catchment area. Brighter candidates (and perhaps more tutored). Some who apply to AGSB would rather go private or local comp if they don’t get a place at AGSB.
mem73

Post by mem73 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:
mem73 wrote:

The cohort at Alty Boys cannot be the same cohort as Stretford. Alty Boys is single sex and Stretford is mixed sex.

Further to this, I know of people who didn't apply to 4 schools. People do choose 1, 2 or 3 for many different reasons.

I do think the different schools weigh the tests differently, but I've not got any evidence to support this belief. On the Sale Grammar website it says (something like) differences in scores between different schools are down to cohort. And, the way the 3 subjects are combined is confidential. However, I don't see the same thing on Alty Boys site.

Are you happy with the 3 your DS passed? It's an amazing achievement. Congratulations! :)

Edit: my mistake, the exact same thing is written at Alty Boys as Sale. So the weightings must be the same and the cohort is the only difference. Information Book link https://www.agsb.co.uk/media/96478/2022 ... ooklet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many thanks. Its very useful.
mem73

Post by mem73 »

Mandy21 wrote:
mem73 wrote:

As some of the posters have said, it is normal (there has been a difference of around 20 marks between Stretford and Altrincham Girls in past years). Although it seems strange as it is one exam, some children will ask for their test to be considered for all of the schools, but some children will ask for their test to be considered just for Altrincham (AGGS or AGSB), or maybe Altrincham and Sale. They wouldn't consider going to Urmston or Stretford for instance because of the distance. That means the "cohort" for standardisation at Stretford is different to the cohort for AGSB.

Also, you are right that the schools will weight the test differently to convert the raw scores to the result your child gets. AGSB/AGGS weight it so that they have (I think from memory) about 300-400 children who pass, Stretford for instance has much higher numbers of children who pass (900+).
Many thanks
TC1

Post by TC1 »

Hi,

Anyone here hoping to get a place at AGSB out of catchment? Our son passed all four schools including AGGSB but we are aware that he will need to get way above the pass mark to get a place for AGSB
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Do you know what score was required for the past few years following the catchment change?
TC1

Post by TC1 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:Do you know what score was required for the past few years following the catchment change?

Last year I think it was 356- this is year is the first year where the exam took place under CEM consortium, so have no idea which way it will swing, higher or lower than 356.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now