CEM Consortium Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lmr87

Re: CEM Consortium Results

Post by Lmr87 »

Has anyone got experience with Stretford Grammar? We are struggling which order to do the CAF. My son passed for Stretford, Urmston and St Ambrose. We live closest to St Ambrose but he isn’t catholic so stands a lower chance of getting in and not sure if he would feel out of place being one of the only non-catholics. Urmston would be most difficult to get to. I was wondering why Stretford is often last choice for people?
poppety

Post by poppety »

If you live near to St Ambrose then I think it's unlikely you'll get a place at Stretford as you're out of priority postcode (unless you were to get in on top 20 score). The majority of children in my child's class at Stretford live fairly close to school (Chorlton, Firswood, Old Trafford, Stretford, Sale)
Stretford is a lovely school. The school places a lot of emphasis on student well-being and not just academic results (although don't get me wrong the students are expected to work hard). When we looked around we just felt that it seemed very welcoming and that it would suit our child. In the end it did also come down to location - an easy journey, local friends etc. We're really happy with our choice.
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

Is it worth trying the appeal route for Sale?
Lmr87

Post by Lmr87 »

I can’t seem to find out how to appeal for sale. He was only 3 marks off
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Lmr87 wrote:I can’t seem to find out how to appeal for sale. He was only 3 marks off
You can't appeal for a school until you have applied for it and been refused a place. So you need to put it on the CAF and then in March you will get details of how to appeal.

Have a read of this https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Lmr87 wrote:Has anyone got experience with Stretford Grammar? We are struggling which order to do the CAF. My son passed for Stretford, Urmston and St Ambrose. We live closest to St Ambrose but he isn’t catholic so stands a lower chance of getting in and not sure if he would feel out of place being one of the only non-catholics. Urmston would be most difficult to get to. I was wondering why Stretford is often last choice for people?
Just put them in the order you'd prefer. I think non-catholic at St Ambrose is difficult to predict - most years there are very few (if any) non-catholic boys that get in, other years there are more. As for why Stretford isn't 1st choice - I think its probably a combination of distance (Altrincham / Sale are much easier to get to for anyone living in south Trafford), it doesn't produce the academic results that the other grammars do, some years ago it was rated as "Inadequate" by Ofsted (and other times onlt "Satisfactory"), some people will want single sex.
jenijen81

Post by jenijen81 »

Lmr87 wrote:Has anyone got experience with Stretford Grammar? We are struggling which order to do the CAF. My son passed for Stretford, Urmston and St Ambrose. We live closest to St Ambrose but he isn’t catholic so stands a lower chance of getting in and not sure if he would feel out of place being one of the only non-catholics. Urmston would be most difficult to get to. I was wondering why Stretford is often last choice for people?
There's also the 'snob factor'. Lots applying for Alty Girls/Boys wouldn't be seen dead in Stretford. It's our first choice though
mayday

Post by mayday »

Mandy21 wrote:@Mayday

The number of passes for Stretford takes into account that it won't be the 1st choice for many of the children who pass - just because its a consortium exam for 5 schools.

Everyone who passes for AGSB/AGGS, Sale and Urmston will also have passed Stretford (if they asked for their test to be considered by the other schools) and so out of that 1000 children who pass for Stretford, hundreds of them will opt for AGGS/AGSB (400 places roughly), Sale or Urmston (think they both have about 200 in each school) over Stretford. If Stretford only had 300/400 children who pass, there would be a danger that they wouldn't fill their places because a large proportion of those children would choose one of the other grammars.
That makes sense, thank you!

Stretford is by far our top choice but we’re not in the priority area (it’s not far, just wrong postcode).
mayday

Post by mayday »

Duplicate post!
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

Does anyone know what was the highest score for Stretford ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now