11+ Tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
square_root

Post by square_root »

Charlie79 wrote: I feel I have somehow disadvantaged my child by not having a tutor.
My daughter didn't have a tutor and passed all four grammar entrance exams that she took. She did do a four-day summer school and a couple of mocks with tutors but if you are an involved parent (as you must be to even find this forum and bother to post) then I would say that your child is in no way disadvantaged. That said I have booked a tutor for my younger child who is currently in year 3 as by that time I hope to be working full time. Said child has a completely different work ethos/temperament than the elder child and I might need the help/guidance of an 'outsider'! The stress can be immense and possibly put a strain on the relationship you have with your child, so it is definitely something to consider if you can afford it. I believe some local tutors are already fully booked for current yr3 children so book early and decide later would be my advice!
Charlie79

Post by Charlie79 »

Thanks very much, that's great
Tao

Post by Tao »

Hi everyone,
This tutoring issue is making me potty :evil: and has finally motivated me to sign onto this forum which I have been watching for aeons but have never contributed to, until now...
I held out against tutoring for my eldest child (who passed with nothing more than a bit of elbowing from me). Now, with second approaching the witching hour, I am starting to panic! Maybe it's because it's a different child, maybe because the penny has finally dropped that the majority of their peers will be tutored. If anybody out there could pm me tutor reccommendations I would be eternally grateful. My child has no academic problems, I just want someone who can help prepare for the exams and perhaps extend concentration time above a nanosecond. I might manage to hold my nerve but it would feel good to know there was someone out there I could contact if I cave in!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Where do you live Tao?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Hi TM
Live near Wilmslow but was thinking of going to someone in Trafford because he/she would probably have more experience of 11+ tutoring.
Tao
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

have pm'd you Tao
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks for your message Tiddlymum, hope I'm not too late to start looking.
If we can't find a tutor might go for a summer school &/ mock exam. Has anybody got experience of either? How do you rate them? Do you get any feedback about areas that child needs to improve in?
Tao
philosophical

Post by philosophical »

Tao wrote:Thanks for your message Tiddlymum, hope I'm not too late to start looking.
If we can't find a tutor might go for a summer school &/ mock exam. Has anybody got experience of either? How do you rate them? Do you get any feedback about areas that child needs to improve in?
Tao
Hi..dd did a mock 11+ test in altrincham at north cestrian... last may...we got feedback about 3 weeks later...scores plus advice on what to improve...eg speed ..dd got 100% of the verbal reasoning qs she did correct but she only completed 56/74!! We focused on this and she passed with flying colours....we thought it was worth doing and if she had got any other neg feedback we probably would have put her in a summer school..
Debs

Re: 11+ Tutors

Post by Debs »

My daughter will be sitting for alty and sale exams this sept and october. I would really like to get some information on the mock exam centre in the summer hols and the summer school. I will be really grateful if somebody can pm with the information.
Brooklands Dad

Re: 11+ Tutors

Post by Brooklands Dad »

while its great to hear all these stories of passing exams with 'flying colours' without resorting to tutors the simple fact is most parents in Trafford who aspire for their kids to go to grammar school will be using tutors whether they admit to it or not! Nobody wants to acknowledge their child would struggle without a tutor and we all want the best education for our kids. There is no shame in using a tutor and could mean the difference between a pass or fail for a child with average ability.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now