Having a wobble about travel!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

overanxious

Having a wobble about travel!

Post by overanxious »

Me, not my daughter! :)

She's going to AGGS and will probably be getting the bus from Parrswood at 7.30am. The mum of one of her friends, who's going to the local school, was asking me this morning about the "long journey" and the "problems with seeing her friends" and "how will you cope with after school activities" whilst adopting a very concerned face.

Tbh, I just assumed that once she started secondary she'd be starting to use public transport without me anyway, can always get a normal bus back to Didsbury in the evening, and will be using her dad as a taxi whenever she can! But now I'm all nervous that it will all be Too Much. I can't drive, and have 3 younger children to sort out - have I been foolish to assume she'll be fine?

Any reassurance much appreciated!
hermanmunster

Re: Having a wobble about travel!

Post by hermanmunster »

Loads of kids travel a long way to school and I suspect that some of us wouldn't have ever got our latin homework done if we hadn't done it in the bus ... :roll:

Worry not, I suspect your friend may be a tad jealous and is trying to reassure themselves of their own choice of school...
gatley too

Post by gatley too »

OA,

I certainly wouldn't worry, after two weeks you will wonder what all the fuss is about - The one thing to remember is that she will probably have a mobile with her if desperate to reassure you ... But lots of other's heading to AGGS/AGSB or Loreto will all be on the same bus route and looking at the time table there are a few bus options avail if missed the planned bus.
She will make new friends on the bus and may even have some girls in the same form, I understand AGGS try to put girls from the same area together!

I think the children grow so quickly in year 7 and friendships she will sort for herself if she wantsto stay in touch with current friends. AGGS has so much more to offer, the mum could be a touch jealous especially if they hadn't considered the option for their own child.

She will be fine, don't worry.
ALM
x
Gman

Post by Gman »

I moved from overseas at the start of high school and had a long bus journey for the first time in my life. My dad caught the bus with me the first couple of times.

I would suggest that as part of the summer experience, you go with your daughter on the bus to Altrincham. Get her to plan the journey, so that she has to learn to read a bus timetable. Then let her and a couple of friends go alone. Give them a budget, so that they learn what happens if they do not keep enough for the return bus leg (though have a back up ready to piick them up if needed).
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi OA

I have had the same 'useful' comments from parents :lol:

.Like you, my son is the only one from his school going to AGSB, but he isn't at all worried and is very excited. I bought the Blazer on Saturday, must admit I had a lump in my throat ( and that was before I had to cough up for it).

My son is getting the 7.30 bus, I've seem the boys and girls getting on and off it, all very well behaved and happy.

So don't worry, she will be absolutely fine. If I thought they would sit together on the bus, I would suggest a meet up in advance, but they'd probably both be mortified :D :lol:

x
AGSB old boy

Post by AGSB old boy »

Does anyone have any idea how you find out more about this bus that TM mentions? My son will be getting one of the (we believe) three school buses that are intended for Loreto & AGGS, but the boys are allowed to use. We understand they leave from Parrswood, and he will be getting on at Heald Green library. Would love to know whether you have to buy tickets in advance, whether there are limited seats available etc.

On the subject of the AGSB uniform, we got the blazer from Taylor & Cross a few weeks ago (kind present from proud Grandma & Grandad). Ordered some of the other stuff online, and that's a bit hit and miss - football top was like a tent, and the apron reached the floor (1 size fits all - not!).

BUT more importantly, of the 2 induction evenings on 5th and 6th July we've got 6th. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! :evil: That would be the evening of England's quarter final if they win on Sunday. SO NOT FAIR.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi AGSB

We got the 5th, so not in same form!
I got the Blazer from T and C. Did you get it big? Mine son is quite stocky so to get the chest to fit and a bit spare, the sleeves and body are a bit long, hope no one laughs at him. Going to sort the rest out on the 5th. Did you buy the socks, mouthguard and planner protector???? I understand the T and C blazers are better quality than the others, thats what I have been told anyway.

Re the buses. There are a few. Travel Master run the one from Parrs Wood at 7.30 ish. There is also one that goes from Green End in Burnage a bit earlier run by Laintons (also called Ashalls- confusing). The Loreto bus can also be used and that goes from Stockport right through Heatons and then the same from there. Drops off at Loreto only, but I suppose could walk. My son has refused to get on this one though as 'full of girls'!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't think there is an issue re space on the buses, but I suppose we will wait and see.

You can pay as you go or buy a (System 7? ) pass but not the Stage coach or Magic Bus 7 day ticket. I don't think difference in either cost but I think you can use System 7 at weekends.

Here is link to bus details website and time table

http://www.gmpte.com/upload/library/Tra ... 091009.pdf

I think these are awarded periodically so we should check before term end in case they have changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the date, they let the kids go home early at 2.30 today :D

Anyway hope this helps. I'm still a bit confused by all the buses and the train is also an option for us, but going to see how the bus goes first. I'm hoping he will make some friends on the bus as he doesn't know anyone at school.

Sure it will all work out though- too late to worry :roll:
anxious loreto mum

Post by anxious loreto mum »

Hi All,

We looked into the buses a while a go and seem a few options if one missed - Some of the buses go via Ambrose, we are heading to Loreto so we can even get the Atly girls bus that then goes on a bit further. Looking at the GMPTE web site I can't make out if all the bus services accept the Travel one card (Ashalls I think not on the list). Even you go for the weekly / monthly option you need to apply for a system one card - Its like an ID card you need a pic and birth certificate to set up. application form on the web site.
http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/
My theory was that this way they can use at weekends and IF the buses work in their favour they can use for the connecting journey.

That bus stop in heald green must get mighty busy we know a lot of people getting on from there so I'm sure we can relax and they will be fine, :D

Loreto have mentioned they will discuss bus routes etc at the open evening so hopefully we might get more info then - I'll post if anything useful.

Not sure about your boys but my daughter is sooooooooo excited. :lol: :lol:

ALM
X
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Ashalls/Laintons do accept the System 1 card, I just checked.

One think I was wondering. The Loreto bus seems to go past the Alty schools on way to Loreto, or certainly near them, but would it stop or would it only stop at Loreto?

Don't teh St Ambrose buses only go to Ambrose, I didn't know there was one which went there and then onwards? Might have missed that though.
anxious loreto mum

Post by anxious loreto mum »

Hi

Well done TM, that was a job I had to do was to ring, another tick for the list :)

My understanding is that the buses will stop at all recognised bus stops, the Loreto bus goes down Cavendish road so I presume they can jump off at the stop there.
For Ambrose a Loreto bus from Bramall follows the same route but stops at St Ambrose and continues upto to Loreto, just leaves earlier in the morning :x The other Loreto bus also follows the same route and go down Hale Road so even more options open to the boys.
Give them 6 months and they can always walk direct into Alty and get the 370 / 371 / 11 if they do any after school activities.

Oh my baby is growing up :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now