Results - St Ambrose, Alty, Sale

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yunny

Re: Results - St Ambrose, Alty, Sale

Post by yunny »

In reply to posts made by emsy and dougal, if I put alty as first choice and my son doesn't get in and he can't get his second choice which is the high school because it is oversubscribed then that would be a nightmare. Do you think I should ring Warrington Admissions to check as I need that reassurance of knowing my son will be guaranteed a place at my second choice which will be the high school. He seems to have accepted the fact that his result was just not high enough for an out of area place and have sort of come round to going to high school. I just can't stop thinking if only he could have scored that bit higher on his NVR - it would have made a slight improvement.

Just want to say how very touched I am that people are giving great advice- times likes this when you need it!
emsy

Post by emsy »

If you phone admissions they should be able to reassure you that putting the high school second won't affect his chances of a place there. By law all admission authorities have to use an equal preference scheme so they can't penalise someone for putting a school second. If a school allocates places by distance then someone who lives 100 yards away and put it 4th but didn't qualify for choices 1 to 3 would get a place before someone who lives a mile away and put it first.
mak999

Post by mak999 »

I would like to say congrads to all who passed and commiserations to those who didn't get what they wanted.
My concern is, that my son passed his AGSB and we live approx 10 miles away from the school in north Manchester. We will put AGSB down as our 1st choice and are not sure if he will get a place although the letter we received from AGSB says anyone who lived out of the catchment area last year and got 349 or over got a place. Are we safe to say he will get a place?

Thanks in advance
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi there and very well done to your son.

In terms of place it will depend on how many spaces there are for ooc children and how highly your son scored. Last year first round of offers went to children who got 351 or over but some children who lived further out with 351 did not get an offer initially, but then got an offer a few weeks later after all the acceptances were received.If you tie for the last place with someone on the same score then the nearer to teh schoolwould get an offer.

Whats your plan for transport? It will be an early get up, but worth it. Is the tram an option??
mak999

Post by mak999 »

Thanks Tiddlymum. The tram is an option as we are very near a stop but probably once he gets older. My son's score was 390. We do intend to move to south manchester as my daughters school is in withington, hence my wife & I will both have to do drop offs if we are still living here.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Sent you a pm.
splane

Post by splane »

Hi everyone

St Ambrose results just out.

My son got 316 (pass mark is 315) - typical of him just doing the bare minimum :roll:

We live out of the catchment area but rank 4th in the admissions criteria.

I am now in a dilemma as to what to put as 1st choice on the form as my second choice (state school) is also oversubscribed and don't fancy losing that place either.

Help! Any advice would be most appreciated.
emsy

Post by emsy »

Putting St Ambrose first won't affect your chance of a place at your second choice if you don't get in - look at the posts above this for an explanation of the equal preference scheme.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Emsy is right, splane.

You should always put the school you want most as your first choice, followed by your second favourite etc etc. You should, though, make sure that there is at least one school on your list that is a banker ie one you would definitely qualify for. Put that 5th if you need to. Then, if you don't get into Nos 1-4 on whatever grounds (qualification, oversubscription etc) you should still get your 5th choice which you can then accept and then appeal, if relevant, or go on the waiting list for your higher choices.

If Ambrose is the school you want then putting it anywhere other than first means you are even more unlikely to get it since, if you qualify for the school you put first, you will get it.

The schools do not know what order you have put them on the CAF. They only know that you put them as a choice.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi splane

You should be fine with that. We were in same criteria last year ( catholic out of area at catholic school). Everyone who passed and wanted a place got one and some were I believe only just over the pass mark. Others who were non catholic in local area so below your criteria also got in.

Well done, don't stress, he has passed. And as Emsy said it doesn't matter about the school form, due to blind preference.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now