Brooklands Primary - Some Interesting Stats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aardvarks

Re: Brooklands Primary - Some Interesting Stats

Post by aardvarks »

I know of at least one child that went to Knutsford. The ratio of who goes to where will vary from year to year on a multitude of factors, including the pretty obvious one of the current economic climate making private less attractive.
That said, there are those who whisper behind the school hall curtains that Brooklands academic emphasis is not what it was - there certainly seems less emphasis on pushing the more capable children and more emphasis on general improvement. Of course some will say that is for the better. One thing is definitely for sure - the steadfast refusal to acknowledge the 11 plus and actually teach the children things that might help them pass it has been there all along and there seems no desire to change it - unlike other primary schools in the area - Cloverlea for example - where the children are given a decent grounding in preparation for the exam and where results have been excellent. Come on Brooklands, face up to reality!
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aardvarks

Post by aardvarks »

Sorry, but I have to totally disagree - state primary, state secondary. But state primary does not prepare child for state secondary? Ridiculous!
And in fact the Brooklands approach merely perpetuates elitism - with those parents who can afford it paying for tutors and many perfectly capable children simply not getting the chance they deserve.
And I speak as someone who has a boy at AGSB, before you think it's sour grapes!
JennyJack

Post by JennyJack »

It is every primary school responsibility to prepare and enable all children be able to give confidence to attempt for 11+ exams (maybe except children who are identified as special needs).

It is better to give the tough world outlook at younger age than to bring out mediocre college graduates who have no clue where they fit in; and have problem competing with the rest of the world competition.

11+ only tests Maths, VR and NVR, I think every child should know these basics if they have to steer as a successful adult.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

aardvarks

Post by aardvarks »

We have a difference of opinion then! I for one believe in equality of opportunity and that is patently not what you get in Trafford: some Trafford state primary schools do work on the 11 plus and that reflects on their good results and gives those children whose parents can't afford tutors some equality of opportunity.
If you are going to have selective state education it should work on the basis the children are introduced to the principles of the test by the state. Otherwise we get what we have in Trafford - effectively private education on the state with wealthier parents inevitably using tutors to give their children a massive advantage over those children whose parents can't afford the tutors (or indeed the Bond books etc) or whose parents are disinterested.
And that - thankfully - comes from someone who now has two boys at AGSB so it still isn't sour grapes, just a recognition that there will be some very bright kids who will be very disappointed today because of a system which is inherently unfair.
Good luck to all at Brooklands for Alty and Sale!
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

aardvarks

Post by aardvarks »

..and well done to you too! Look forward to debating with you on parents evenings!
Urmstonmum

Post by Urmstonmum »

Hi Brooklands Dad,

Just wondering where you gained the information, was this from Trafford Secondary Admissions. I don't seem to be able to find this out for our Primary and hoping you can help,
I agree this is possibly low but after asking around it seems to be the norm.

cheers
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.