catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jash

catchment area

Post by jash »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. Can someone explain me about catchment/boundaries etc., please to AGSG. We live in Didsbury.

Many thanks

Jash
TIDDLYMUM

Re: catchment area

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I understand its something like a 8 mile radius round the school and that dependent where you are in Didsbury you may be just inside or outside the catchment. overanxious will be able to advise for sure as she lives there herself and her daughter got a place. My son is at AGSB and there are a good number of girls getting on the bus at Parrs Wood going to the school.
jash

Post by jash »

thanks very much TM. I am not sure if overanxious is reading this message. If you are free, can you please respond re: catchment please. thanks. I am about 6.8miles from Alty grammar for girls (shortest google route). I am also planning to clarify the same with the school tomorrow.

Jash
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Ooh, I just popped in!

Hi jash! Yep, I'm in Didsbury and, I think, about the same distance as you. Tiddlymum is right - catchment is an 8 mile radius from the school. They don't measure road routes, just as the crow flies. I'm near School Lane/Parrswood Road. My daughter passed the exam for AGGS but she didn't get in at the first round of offers. I rang the school to see how far they had gone, and they told me that she was 8th on the waiting list. She got the offer after the first round of acceptances/rejections. Somebody on here was quoting a figure of 18 rejections from girls who'd decided to go elsewhere.

Her friend from over towards West Didsbury got in at the first round.

HTH - I'm don't check in here every day, but if you need any further info you can send me a personal message.
jash

Post by jash »

Thanks very much overanxious. Much appreciated. We live in West Didsbury. Thanks very much for letting me send a pm to you. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jash
jash

Post by jash »

Hello All,

Called AGGs again today as the kind secretary did not manage to call me back. She calculated the distance from the school to our postcode. She said that we are within the 8 mile catchment area!!

Just to let you all know.

Kind regards,

Jash :)
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

Don't worry AGSB do take boys out of catchment, although they do have to score higher. The out of area archment score is currently 355 this year, but is often around 350. Our son is in year 8 at AGSB and in his year close to 40% were from outside their catchment area.