Concessionary Bus Fare Changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TIDDLYMUM

Concessionary Bus Fare Changes

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

http://www.gmpte.com/journey_planning/t ... ionary.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is everyone aware of the changes? Basically half fare instead of 80p on all bus journeys (school included) and you must have one of the new i go passes. Which luckily I have already but I know a lots of people that haven't :?

There is a spreadsheet with some info on though no indications as to which fares will apply on each bus, as it appears that there are some variations (see below), this is to my mind not particularly helpful as there are no cost indicators showing on the sheet :(

http://www.gmpte.com/pdf/concessionary_ ... ummary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been buying the 8.00 per week pass, and am hoping that this will continue to be available, because goodness knows how much full fare ( and therefore half fare) would be from South Manchester to Altrincham each way.Its some distance on the public 370- let alone the circuitous routes taken by all the school buses heading over that way.

Any info that anyone has would be appreciated.To my mind this has been sneaked in very quietly :x
emsy

Re: Concessionary Bus Fare Changes

Post by emsy »

I have heard of it but like you I haven't been able to get any information on what the new fare will be or whether the pass price will change. The website for the £8 bus pass (System One) doesn't mention any price rises at the moment. As my DD gets a school bus I have no idea what the adult price would be so can't work out the new child price.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

If you go down to the bottom of the info page there's a section "I get on a GMPTE funded school bus" which says that there are three price bands: £1, £1.20 and £1.40.

What confuses me is that one 706 service says "Different fares may apply on this school journey" but there appears to be an identical one underneath where the new fare is payable.

What happens if you buy a monthly pass at the end of March? Will it still be valid? £2.80 a day instead of £1.60 is an extra £24 a month :(
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Not much point buying one at the end of March as they are off for most of April. I can't see that they could put a weekly pass up much as the adult ones are only £13.50.

I feel for people with no car and a few kids because this is going to hurt thrm in the pocket. :(
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Weekly pass going up to 9.50 in May :( Still cheaper than daily fare though.
emsy

Post by emsy »

I'll have 2 at secondary in September. They will have to get the tram (£5.40 each a week) as I can't afford £19 a week for two bus passes. The journey time is the same on the tram but it is 25 minutes walking and 5 minutes on the tram instead of 5 minutes walking and 25 minutes going round the houses on the bus. The exercise will do them good! I wonder if more people will drive their children to school instead of using public transport, especially if they have two or three children at a school.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Emsy

Is it only £5.40 on the tram for a week, thats good value?

My son got it last week as I was parking at Stretford and going into town. He enjoyed it and the walk is not so bad.

Lots of kids on it, and that was at 7.40.

Wouldn't you get a free pass or are you less than 3 miles? I agree with the comment about the cost, if you have a few children it would really mount up.

Perhaps they are trying to limit educational mobility??? :?
emsy

Post by emsy »

It's £5.40 a week or £20 for 4 weeks for a pass that covers Altrincham to Dane Road so good for meeting friends in Sale at the weekend. We are about 2.5 miles by road so too close for a free pass but I think too far to walk loaded down with bags and not a safe route to cycle. My daughter gets the tram if she has after school activities and she has friends that get it so she's happy to change.