Appeal for AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rog369

Re: Appeal for AGSB

Post by rog369 »

Hi to everyone on Trafford Forum

Thought I would give an update to our situation.

I requested a copy of the clerk's notes of our appeal and having received them decided that they were not enough to set my mind at rest that the panel had acted independently or fairly. In my opinion they did not make clear exactly what reasons the panel had for making their decision. The notes did not cover the decision-making process at all and merely stated the decision.

As the school is an Academy I drafted a letter of complaint about their appeal process and sent it to the school. I also requested a copy of their complaints procedure. This was sent to me immediately but I received no reply to my complaints. After almost 3 weeks I rang the school to see why I had had no reply. I was told that any complaints need to be referred to the Ombudsman and that the school's complaints procedure is not relevant as my son is not a current pupil. I pointed out that as the school is an Academy the relevant body is the YPLA. However the school dispute this and insist that maladministration concerns are not covered by the YPLA.

I have now referred my complaint to the YPLA and it is now being investigated. However so much time has passed since my original letter of complaint to the school (beginning of June) that I doubt anything will happen before September. I believe that the school have deliberately delayed matters to ensure that the issue remains unresolved before the summer holidays. If the YPLA contact the school will they have to reply during the holidays or can they leave it until September?

My son does not know that we are continuing with the appeal process and seems to have accepted that he will be going to Sale Grammar. In fact he is very positive about it, enjoyed his induction and taken part in a sports course for new entrants. I know that he will work hard and be happy there. All along he's known that we weren't arguing against Sale Grammar, but just felt that AGSB was particularly suitable for him, where his elder brother is and, where he himself wanted to go. I just feel that there were too many breaches of the Appeals Code to let the matter go without an independent investigation. If nothing comes out of the investigation then at least I will know that I did everything I could to get a fair decision. Fingers crossed that we get a fresh appeal and it is upheld - but I'm not going to hold my breath!
vicausten

Re: Appeal for AGSB

Post by vicausten »

rog369 wrote:Hello to everyone on the Trafford Forum.

I am new to the forum and have just lost our appeal to AGSB. I have been posting info and questions on the general Appeals forum and thought I would introduce myself.

Thankfully we do have an offer of a place at SGS but we really wanted AGSB as our elder son is there already. We lost the appeal on both qualification (only 2 marks away) and oversubscription. We are out of catchment as well. I am probably going to make a formal complaint as there were several breaches of the Appeals Code, but as school is now an Academy will have to go to them with the complaint first.

If anyone has any advice or could put me in touch with anyone who could offer assistance with my case I would be very grateful.
Been through the same thing ourselves with an academy, and complained to YPLA, not worth the 4 letters of their name!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now