ALTY GIRLS.....totally confused.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frappez

ALTY GIRLS.....totally confused.

Post by frappez »

If anyone could shed any light, it would be massively appreciated. My daughter passed the AGS exam and it is her first choice of school. We live 2.5 miles from AGS but we are in Manchester (by 50 yards). We want her to go to a school in Trafford, but we are being told that we have to fill in both Manchester and Trafford preference forms. Surely if we fill in Manchester forms we will get offered places in Manchester and turned down by Trafford....or am I making the mistake of assuming that LEA's talk to each other? Also, we went to a 'how to fill in your preferences' meeting tonight which didn't make it any clearer, one of the questions was....if a girl 3 miles away in Manchester gets a higher mark than a girl 4 miles away in Trafford who would get in. The answer given was the girl in Manchester, which goes against everything we've been told. Sorry to ramble but it's all a bit confusing.
Gatley

Post by Gatley »

As far as I know you need to complete the form belonging to your local authority i.e Manchester. Put the Trafford schools on there and they will communicate with each other.
cleo

Post by cleo »

Who were you told by Frappez? I havn't heard that before. I live in Old Trafford and Trafford sent me mine CAF form. I have friends who live in Manchester and they have only received Manchester LEA CAF forms. They are putting down Trafford schools but only comnpleter Manchester CAF.

I would phone your LEA and ask them. I'm sure you only have to fill one or the other. That is usually your LEA form. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I have never heard that before. Just finished completing mine online.
frappez

Post by frappez »

Thanks Gatley, perhaps filling in both sets and sending copies to each of them with 'SHE WANT'S TO GO TO AGS' on the top of each is the only way of ensuring that the message gets through....or am I being overly cynical?
frappez

Post by frappez »

Cleo, at the AGS meeting tonight. They said fill in Manchester with 3 Manchester choices and fill in Trafford with 3 Trafford choices. All a bit odd. I wouldn't mind but she's not taken any Manchester schools exams so you'd think they'd get the message!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

I don't think you fill in both. I only have one for local authority Stockport. Will be putting the Trafford school/s (still waiting for St A :roll: ) on as first choice and submitting to Stockport. I will then post a copy to Trafford (though no one has told me to do this- just as a precaution).
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Sorry Frappez forget to say this

also Catchment for Alty girls (I haven't got a girl but looked on website last week) is 8 mile radius from school. So presumably Brooklands (in Manchester) is much closer than Stretford (in Trafford) which is why you got the answer you did. Does this help?? :?
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Hi - my husband was at the meeting last night, and the info he told me (if you trust him :D ) was that each LEA could make an offer, so you can put both Manchester and Trafford schools on your form, and you will end up with one offer from Manchester and one from Trafford. He was certain that we can use our Manchester form for Trafford schools - but the head did mention that you could send a copy to Trafford as a precaution, as someone's mentioned above.
lxy

Post by lxy »

Hi

I live in Stockport and I have contacted both Stockport and Trafford LEA, their answer are the similiar:

I just need to fill Stockport form and put Trafford schools as first, then send the form to Stockport LEA and they will pass the application to Trafford after the closing date, say 26th Oct. but you must let Stockport LEA receive your form before 26th Oct.

I was told by Rosemary (Trfford LEA) that it is not necessary to send a copy to her. the LEAs will exchange information

I have already send my son's form to Stockport(online). I found Online is very good, I sent last evening, this morning I received a recipt from Stockport LEA. I put Altry first, sale second and a stockport school the 3rd. but we will go to Altry!

Good luck to everybody1
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi LXY

Thanks thats very useful.

I don't know about you, but given that so many out of area kids (at least on this forum) seem to have passed, I am a bit concerned as to whether my sons mark (361) would be enough to secure a place. What do you think?

I know last year they admitted lots over the set number but can they sustain that year on year?

I'm confused :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now