Travel to Sale from Stockport - Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hattie bobs

Travel to Sale from Stockport - Help!

Post by hattie bobs »

My daughter has un-expectantly received a place for Sale Grammar! As we are out of catchment we did not think she would get a place with what we thought was just a good pass. I used to work part time and would have been able to drive her there.I now work full time and cannot. We cannot get her as far as Didsbury for the school bus. I am now desperately looking to arrange to pay someone to take her who is also going to Sale or Didsbury? Is there any body out there who could help or any bright ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated - am desperate :(
HATTIEBOBS
TraffordMum

Re: Travel to Sale from Stockport - Help!

Post by TraffordMum »

Would she be able to get to Stockport station? Catch a train to Altrincham and then tram from Altrincham (it goes from the other platform at Altrincham station) 3 stops up the line to Brooklands. Then it's a 5 minute walk. Or there's the X5 bus service from Stockport to Sale run by Bluebird.

I know it feels daunting at this point to think of your child travelling on public transport but they quickly become very competent and what seems impossible at this point of Year 6 can seem totally manageable and normal by this point in Year 7.

Do you know anyone from your daughter's school from previous years who goes to Sale and makes the journey who could look after her for the first few weeks?

Could you ring SGS and ask if they know anyone who comes from the same area and maybe ask SGS to pass on your details to them in the hope they will call and advise. (I doubt school would give you details due to data protection.)

Congratulations on getting the place!
AGSB old boy

Post by AGSB old boy »

Congrats to your daughter Hattiebobs.

If public transport or lift sharing will not be a possibility for you, as a last resort you could consider doing a deal with a local taxi firm to take her from home to the school bus (Didsbury?)...

As TraffordMum says, we could not have imagined our son making his own way quite some distance to school, but he adapted quickly and after the first term was completely used to it. Lazy toad is not averse to the odd sneaky lift whenever he can wangle one though!! :roll:

Good luck with the other options though...
ugsmum

Post by ugsmum »

Hi

One of DDs friends catches the 22 bus which runs from Bolton to Stockport. He travels from Eccles to UGS but stays on as far as Stretford when he visits her ( we live in Sale). Your daughter should be able to go from Stockport to Stretford then either get on the metro or get another bus to SGS.

Have you asked the school if there are any others in your area? They may be prepared to pass your details/request on.

Hope you manage to find a solution
rosetinted

Post by rosetinted »

Whereabouts in Stockport are you?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi hb! Good news indeed! The 22 bus option is a bit of a trek in my opinion. Train from Stockport to Alty would be 7.30 as the 8.30 would be too late. THe tram is minutes and you literally only have to cross the platform to get on the tram which is very close to the school. IT sounds daunting but I promise she will soon get used to it.There are girls and boys from AGGS and AGSB on the same train. IS getting her to Stockport doable? At least that way you are not going all the way into town just to come back?

I know it's an early start but I do it every morning- having said that I only have the one child to sort and I suppose more difficult if you have more?

Hope you get sorted- she has done so well to get a place I would be a shame not to take it !
hattie bobs

Post by hattie bobs »

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies- this forum has been fabulous in the past when sitting the exams & continues to be so !

we are in Davenport so the train from Stockport would be doable but still sounds daunting for my tiny little ( last baby!) girl! Will contact the school re other children in the area- thanks very much for all the fabulous help
HATTIEBOBS
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

As I said there are lots of school kids on the train and I think she would be fine!

I used to stand at the bus stop until the bus left and on the first day I phoned school to make sure he had got there (cringe), though he is my precious first and only born so don't judge me too harshly!! Roll on a year and a half to a hulking deep voiced teenager who is thrown out of the car down the road and doesn't look back.

Final though go on the Gmpte school section and look at all local sections see if you can cobble something together. All school services are open to the public with the exception of the Y number yellow buses.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now