AGSB - Proposed change re child with two addresses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TraffordMum

AGSB - Proposed change re child with two addresses

Post by TraffordMum »

For information:

I was recently asked a question about what happens if a child has two addresses, as in the classic case where the parents have split up but share parenting responsibilities. This was in the context of Altrincham Boys' Grammar and specifically in relation to entry in September 2012. The school's 2012 Admissions Policy is clear that, in this case, the address furthest from the school will be the one deemed to be the child's address for the purpose of the application.

Interestingly, I have just read through the Draft Policy for the September 2013 entry and notice that there is a proposed change to this rule, in that the average of the two addresses will be taken and used as the relevant address.

Considering that Alty Boys has a relatively small catchment area (inside which a bare pass will suffice to gain entry to the school, but outside which relies on a high score) this could be significant for those it affects. I can think of one family where an average of the two addresses would put the child firmly in catchment, but taking the furthest address puts him out of catchment.

(Please note that all Trafford Grammars have their own entrance policies and what one does isn't necessarily what the others do. This post relates to Altrincham Boys' Grammar only and at the date of this post is still only a draft proposal.)

TM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now