Trafford Results' Thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
me boo

Re: Trafford Results' Thread

Post by me boo »

Re UGS places - I agree. Also, as we are out of area, I am not sure if it is usual but having received a place at UGS, DS has also received letter from Sale 'inviting' to go on their list for second allocation in April, since they have found they have a small number of spaces!

I understand this to be unusual? Any feedback on previous years would be helpful. We are househunting to move into catchment for DD (currently Y4) since we assumed living out of catchment we would be highly unlikely to get her a place.
aishajoy

Post by aishajoy »

Live out of catchment area but got an offer by email from Ambrose for my son. This morning got an offer in the post from Sale. Confused.. I thought you only received one placement
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ugsmum

Post by ugsmum »

Have just received similar letter from AGSB but not Sale.

It seems all the out of catchment area distances have increased this year.

I know of 2 boys offered Stretford Grammar from Flixton which last year was beyond their offer distance.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

This is all very strange!!! :shock:
aishajoy

Post by aishajoy »

I received another letter from AGSB re waiting list . So received two offers of a place Saint Ambrose and Sale . Is this a mistake or as any one else received offers. Pleased as punch because live in stockport out of the catchment area
me boo

Post by me boo »

I am posting this reply in the hope the info helps someone:

We put Urmston as 1st choice and Sale as 2nd (though Sale won't have known). We received the UGS offer, which was not entirely unexpected, but still a massive relief to see in writing, since DS scored top 20 and therefore went into a category above the 'distance' category. (I have only put this info to explain why I cannot comment on UGS distance/offers)

Yesterday we received a letter from Sale asking if DS wanted to be considered for second round of allocations in April due to the fact they still have a small number of places. Not sure of our exact distance from Sale, but we are way out of catchment, being over a mile beyond J13/Worsley.

Like UGSmum I have been on the UGS website and it seems that they would be prepared to let pupils take the exam now for September 2012 entry.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

ugsmum wrote:There is a cryptic entry on UGS website implying there are still places available if anyone is interested.

They have also set the date for Exam for 2013 entry as one week after AGSB /AGGS
I think this is a sensible decision from UGS. Until they moved their exam to be the earliest of the Trafford exams I knew of only 1 or 2 people from the south of Trafford taking the exam, due to the fact their location meant they had little to no chance of a place.

For the past 2 years, with the Urmston exam first it has become hugely popular with the Altrincham and Sale contingent as a "practice paper" for the Alty/Sale exams. From asking around I know that there were at least 15 passes for UGS from my kids' old primary school, all of which kids have ended up getting places at AGGS or AGSB. If that is replicated across the other south Trafford primaries then a good proportion of the passes have gone to a group of kids who were unlikely to go to UGS, and hence the unfilled places.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

aishajoy wrote:Live out of catchment area but got an offer by email from Ambrose for my son. This morning got an offer in the post from Sale. Confused.. I thought you only received one placement
Can I just clarify here exactly what the position is. Are these two offers from Ambrose and Sale both official offers, ie from your LEA? Assuming that they are, what order did you put them in on your CAF.

What seems to have happened in a couple of other LEAs (down South!) is that their online systems were not finally updated before the systems went live. This resulted in some people being allocated a school online and then getting a higher ranked school allocated once the official letter arrived the following day. If Sale was ranked higher for you than Ambrose, I wonder if this has happened with the Stockport allocations as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now