Anyone appealing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aggsmum

Re: Anyone appealing?

Post by aggsmum »

Hi everyone,

I've just received my date of hearing at AGGS. Already feeling very nervous and not knowing what to expect. Can anyone help?
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

July? :shock: Oh, that is such a long wait :( Our date is at the end of May, and that seems bad enough.

I am putting off writing our presentation, because I feel a bit hopeless about the whole thing really. We bit the bullet and got an EP report, which at least gave my daughter a bit of a confidence boost but our oversubscription arguments hardly convince me!! :roll:

I'll be so glad when it's all over - and I can have a bit of a break before thinking about the 11+ for daughters 3 and 4!
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

I am guessing very few too! Although there's a girl who got in on a non-qual + oversubs. appeal in my daughter's class, so it's not completely hopeless. Possibly :)

Have been reading some of the successful appeal threads where people have said you must focus on why your child 'needs' to go to the preferred school, and not just 'wants' to go. I have no compelling reasons like that :(
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

aggsmum/overanxious,

Good luck for your appeals over next couple of days!

JM xx
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Just been to our appeal, and to be honest it was a bit ... disappointing :( Panel were perfectly nice but it was all very perfunctory; they didn't ask the school rep any questions and, after we'd read out our submission, only asked us 3 questions: What does she do out of school, how far away is the allocated school, did she do any other grammar exams? Thank you and goodbye. We were out in 12 minutes.

I feel like I've spent a disproportionately large amount of effort on this :( Am feeling a bit weepy at the mo, but will fill in a proper report in the Appeals section later. Anyone with an appeal coming up who has any questions, please feel free to pm me.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I'm sorry you aren't feeling positive about what happened. However, you have done your best and you never know. I have read countless posts on this forum from people with similar experiences. Some are not successful but some are. You never know. I hope the 5 week wait for the result goes quickly for you.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Hi Overanxious,

I agree with traffordmum. I have read about plenty of people feeling very despondent about how the appeal went and then have been successful. You really do not know until the letter arrives. It does sound a pity that so little time was spent to go through your case and not many questions were asked. Maybe this was because you did such a good letter and presentation that they had no questions!!

Can I ask one question please - who was the school rep? Was it the head?

Thanks

JM
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

I was dreading it being the Head :D but it wasn't, it was the head of the pastoral team (Don't want to put her -very distinctive - name!) She was very nice, smiled a lot, mentioned as she walked back to the main building with us that there are about 40 appeals this year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now