Daughter asking questions about exam ( AGGS )

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Daughter asking questions about exam ( AGGS )

Post by countrymum »

Hi, DD taking AGGS exam in September and she is starting to ask me questions about the exam itself that I just don't know the answer to. Wonder if anyone could help me give her the answers. She is asking....

1. Does everyone who is taking the exam all go in the one room ( hall? ) at the same time? Seems too many to me to fit in one room and at once but is a question she has asked. Or is it that they are split into different time slots on the day?
2. Is it held normally at the school itself?
3. Are you allowed water during the exam ( bring oneself )?
4. Can you go for wee midway through ? ( I would doubt it )
5. Are you allowed paper for workings out?
6. Is exam done in pencil?
7. What is she allowed/ not allowed in her pencil case?
8. Do you wear school uniform?

She keeps thinking of new ones so shall probably be back!
gatleymum

Re: Daughter asking questions about exam ( AGGS )

Post by gatleymum »

I got a letter back when I applied which answers some of these questions:

I surmise there are several rooms, as we were given a specific one - room E.
It is held at the school and everyone at the same time.
You can bring a drink to have between exams.
It is done in HB pencil (specifies what you can bring - 2 pencils, rubber & ruler)
You do wear school uniform.

The wee / paper question aren't included in the information, though..

Surely positive she's thinking it through - we're still in the head-in-the-sand stage here..!

Doing a mock on the 12th May mainly to alieviate anxiety around all this stuff, though.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

countrymum wrote:
1. Does everyone who is taking the exam all go in the one room ( hall? ) at the same time? Seems too many to me to fit in one room and at once but is a question she has asked. Or is it that they are split into different time slots on the day?
2. Is it held normally at the school itself?
3. Are you allowed water during the exam ( bring oneself )?
4. Can you go for wee midway through ? ( I would doubt it )
5. Are you allowed paper for workings out?
6. Is exam done in pencil?
7. What is she allowed/ not allowed in her pencil case?
8. Do you wear school uniform?
1. Everyone takes the exam at the same time on the same day except for any who are ill or have legitimate reasons (e.g. religious) for not sitting on the original day.

2. Yes. They split the girls into groups and allocate each group a separate room. It's a random allocation so you don't get all one school in the same room, for example. You will be told which room your daughter will be in and when you arrive on the morning itself you will be directed to a sixth former holding a placard with your daughter's room number on it. Every couple of minutes another sixth former will take the girls waiting for a particular room to the room where they will be met by the teacher invigilating.

3. They will let you know this with all the information. I recall that you could take a small drink and a snack but I think you had to eat/drink them in a break - certainly not during the exams!

4. They try to limit toilet breaks to the intervals between the exams but you can ask to go during an exam. However, you don't get any extra time to make up for the loss of time.

5. I don't know the current policy on this but when my daughters did the exam scrap paper was provided, yes. This is some years ago, though, so hopefully a more recent exam taker can confirm this for you.

6. Yes.

7. The info sent before the exam tells you exactly what you can take. 2 pencils, a rubber and a small ruler, I recall. See-through pencil case or no pencil case.

8. You do not need to wear school uniform. Your daughter, however, should. :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thank you so much GM and TM, really, really helpful. Have been able to let her know your answers and she ( may change nearer the day of course ) is really quite geared up now about the exam, she has kind of taken it on as a personal challenge and has even asked if she can take different exams for different schools :o From a previous post I made on here last year I think it was, I really am astounded at the change in her attitude and mine to an extent, she wouldn't let me use the words 11 and plus in the same sentence without a groan from her and I thought I was hopeless at NVR and NV, am no brain box at them but have finally got it and quite proud of myself in a way for working at it myself so I can be the best possible teacher at home for her alongside her group tutoring.

I have only just sent off the application form so shall look forward to getting all the relevant information from that too and we are also looking forward to the open evening in June.

Thanks again.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

My daughter did the AGGS exam in 2011 and was given a piece of scrap paper. She was allowed to go to the toilet and have a drink and snack during the break. They were also allowed to chat quietly in the break so atmosphere seemed to be relaxed.

Sale did not give her a scrap paper but luckily I wasn't sure about this and told her not to worry about writing all over the question paper. Think this did throw a couple of others though. Just prepare her for both possibilities!

x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now