Help! What does Sale Grammar do with Y6 KS2 SATs results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ican'tbelieveit

Help! What does Sale Grammar do with Y6 KS2 SATs results

Post by ican'tbelieveit »

Please can anyone advise? I have merrily been telling my son that his Y6 SATs won't have any bearing for him at Sale Grammar. Unfortunately, his class mates have been telling him otherwise - does anyone know the truth? I would hate to mislead him. Many thanks.
Elphaba

Re: Help! What does Sale Grammar do with Y6 KS2 SATs results

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
me boo

Post by me boo »

I can't comment specifically on Sale, since I did not ask the question there. However, I would not expect the school to pay much attention to the results since all the schools I asked (approx 5) did not take them into account. Basically, high schools tend not to trust the results from primaries for reasons of intensive coaching, or worse!! I have received a variety of answers and some look at their own CAT (sp?) tests, some do not set the children until after a settling in period (say after October half term) whilst others do not set them until Y8.

I sent an enquiry via email to Sale admissions last year and I got a useful response by the end of the day. You could try that if it concerns you.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

SATs help primary get high on the primary league tables.

I dont think they are used to identify or set children in high schools.

Also, I think all kids who have got into Grammar schools in Trafford are doing Level 6 SATS.

Have not met anyone who is not doing level 6 papers.
:oops: :shock: :)
ican'tbelieveit

Post by ican'tbelieveit »

Thanks, everyone! Although no definitive answer, that in itself leads me to believe that what my son's classmates are saying about SATs having a bearing at SGS is somewhat dubious.
It'sme!

Post by It'sme! »

I'm not so sure. I can't speak for SGS but when I went in to see head of admissions at Ashton for reasurance of how they encourage and develop high acheivers and was told that they do their own CAT tests but also speak to class teachers and look at SAT results for setting. A grammar may be different but I really wouldn't worry too much anyway. Once they're there and settled their teachers will know their abilities just as well as their current primary teachers. Also, I need to add that even amongst those that are going to various Grammar schools I don't know of any taking the Level 6 paper in our primary.
emsy

Post by emsy »

I have two children at Sale Grammar. The SATS results will make no difference to his classes as the children aren't put in sets in Year 7. All lessons are in their form group except PE where boys and girls are separated and Tech (and I think one other) where two forms are split into 3 groups of 20 to keep classes smaller. Maths is set from Year 8 but this is based on performance in Year 7 rather than SATS.
rosetinted

Post by rosetinted »

Re Setting, I spoke to someone at Sale earlier this year and this was a subject I raised with them. They don't rely on year 6 SATS results, children are assessed in year 7 using CAT tests and by teacher assessement.

Re level 6 SATS, non of the Grammar School pass kids at my daughters school are doing level 6.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I have told my DS that if he gets in at his grammar school he can have a year off (yr 6) the SATS are only for the primary league tables why else would the teachers put so much pressure on them (its not for the kids benefit or future positioning at high school)