Appeal results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JMG

Appeal results?

Post by JMG »

Hi to all, just wondering if anyone has had their appeal results for sgs yet? We had our appeal last Wed and think we were told we would hear by 2nd July, unless my dh misheard! Have the alti grammars sent their letters out yet? Just curious as to how many appeals are being upheld this year. Don't think we stand any chance of winning but would be nice to hear of some success stories! All the best to all those awaiting results!
overanxious

Re: Appeal results?

Post by overanxious »

Hi JMG - on the other thread Ticktock said that AGGS will be phoning any successful applicant by 4th July. At our appeal we were told that we'd get a letter in "mid-July" - which hardly bodes well!

Just want to add my best wishes to everyone else on the Trafford forum waiting for appeal results. We're just concentrating on our allocated school now and, luckily, my daughter is getting really excited and I'm hoping she has a fab transition day on the 2nd to make things even easier. Would love to see a success story from someone who was as disappointed as me in the AGGS appeal - it would reassure me that the panel were interested and impartial, despite appearances indicating the opposite!

How did your appeal go JMG? Fingers crossed for everyone :)
It'sme!

Post by It'sme! »

SGS last appeals are today. Letters by early next week. 17 places but was a bit flumoxed that all the questions were on extenuating circumstances. I had no questions from school rep re anything academic - I can only hope that was because I'd covered it all in my blurb. I'm not holding my breath. We've missed the SGS induction - parents and pupils, my daughter is at her induction day at her high school as I type! I was very impressed at the parents meeting. Let's hope she comes home with a smile on her face.

Good luck to everyone. One way or another it will all work out...........and I for one will be opening a bottle of Champagne regardless of the results and will toast the end of the silliness and look forward to watching my baby girl provejust how amazing she is wherever she ends up!
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I've heard there were 56 appeals for SGS, does anyone know if this is correct? Our appeal went as well as could be expected. We had strong extenuating circumstances and although our son was achieving level 5's in yr 5 and also passed well for stretford grammar, our head was unwilling to offer any support to our appeal. She doesn't support appeals at all as she believes if you don't pass then you should attend your local high school. Therefore, without any strong academic evidence from our school we believe our chances of the appeal being upheld are extremely slim! Our son is also attending his induction day at his allocated school today which fortunately he was really looking forward to. The most important thing we have to focus on is that our children are happy no matter which school they attend and I believe he will succeed whether it be at a grammar or high school!
It'sme!

Post by It'sme! »

Head of admissions told me (either last week or week before) that there were 42 appeals for Sale.

Surely your 5's from last year and your Stretford pass count as academic evidence?
JMG

Post by JMG »

I think compared to the evidence others will have ie/ strong supportive letter from head and or form teacher, educational psychologist's report, level 6 sats predicted and probably only a few marks off qualification; our evidence is quite limited. But we gave it our best shot and knew if we didn't go ahead with the appeal we would've always had that niggling 'what if'! It's out of our hands now, just want it all to be over so I can draw a line under it and move on!
42 appeals is better than 56, but still substantial amount. Did you ask the admissions officer at the appeal itself?
It'sme!

Post by It'sme! »

I asked about the number of appeals when I asked about the lower pass mark.
We (or I) said outright that we couldn't afford an ed psych report as much as we felt it may have helped our case. Our school made the decision not to put any Y6 in for L6. The only thing you don't have that we do was a letter from her form teacher. So much of it is down to chance, but yes. I can't wait to draw a line under this chapter and move on too :)
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

It'sme! wrote: I can't wait to draw a line under this chapter and move on too
I second that opinion this process has been way way too long.

Good luck to everyone. :D I hope we hear of lots of successful outcomes but being realistic I hope we get to hear about the few that make it. I also hope that people will update the feedback from all areas sticky as when I trawled though all 11 pages looking for Trafford cases when compiling our appeal I found only one but not for the school required. Any information that I can supply to help people in this horrible situation for future appeals I will put on my sticky.