MOCK EXAMS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tao

Re: MOCK EXAMS

Post by Tao »

Fair points but do the established mock tests provide standardised scores?
My child attended one last year which was :
a) expensive
b) not tailored to any of the grammar school exams in the area that I am aware of
c) not standardised, children were given their percentage for each test plus the average percentage for the group
I think providing percentage scores of GL assessment tests taken under exam conditions would be a distinct improvement. Even better if standardised scores could be calculated.
mikeboz

Post by mikeboz »

I feel that the idea of a mock exam is NOT about the outcome of the tests; it is about making a child more comfortable in an unfamiliar setting, with unfamiliar children and adults. Thereby making the "real" experience a less daunting one.

Most of us already have a good idea of our child's expected results by now and all we want to do is help create an enjoyable experience in sitting the tests beforehand, so that our children can perform to as near their optimum as possible on "the day".

If a child's stress level rises too much; he/she will not perform to his/her maximum. By having a Mock exam delivered in a similar way in strange surroundings, with unknown adults, will help to break down the barrier of the "unknown", hopefully create a pleasant experience and help each child to show their full potential in the "real" tests.

So I am not concerned too much about standardising or the marking the tests etc., - it is the experience that counts and not the outcome - on this occasion!

I am awaiting a request to use an old school building in Trafford Park - now used for training.
If you are interested (we now have 9 parties interested); keep watching this thread.
mikeboz

Post by mikeboz »

Venue now available in Trafford Park with a smaller room for approx 10 and a larger room for about 25. The venue has ample free parking (UTD play away on 1.9.12).Cost of approx £100 for Saturday 1st September 0830-1300.
It has a waiting area and small cafe, which is ideal.

Best idea for which papers to use would be to supply your own. In this way, we will have the answer sheets, so we can mark the tests ourselves. I am happy to purchase these from GL upon request.

It would be best to use the OMR sheets provided by GL as most schools tend to use these to make marking more available. I have several available and other parents may have some as well - so if we liaise with what we already have collectively we may be able to reduce costs even further.

I am happy to open and explain/time the tests (I am an ex Primary Head and have active CRB clearance) and we can organise a rota of invigilators between us.

To move ahead we ALL need to agree the following;-
1. Cost of venue hire in Trafford Park will be shared equally between participants ( One invoice issued by venue).
2. Tests to be supplied and marked by individual parents/carers/tutors.
3. OMR answer sheets will be used.
3. One adult per student is available for invigilation for at least 1 x hour session.
4. Refreshments during break times will be provided by parents/carers or purchased from the site cafe.

If you are 100% happy with all statements below - PM me to make preparations
traffordite

Post by traffordite »

Sorry but this is not really for me. It seems like we would be doing all the work ourselves and without a method of getting a proper standardised score I would not be getting what I want from the test.

My tutor does the whole test and provides a full written report for £35. Now that I realise how much work is involved I think her fee is very reasonable.

Best of luck to you guys anyway.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

I think this will be great, more work for parents but worth the variation.

@ Traffordite, I think you have got a bargain if your tutor does all 3 mocks for £35 as most mocks are near £50 or so, so your tutor is really doing value for money. :D :)
madsdad

Post by madsdad »

topsyturvy wrote:I think this will be great, more work for parents but worth the variation.

@ Traffordite, I think you have got a bargain if your tutor does all 3 mocks for £35 as most mocks are near £50 or so, so your tutor is really doing value for money. :D :)
Sorry Mikeboz think I'm also going to give it a miss as our tutor offers the mock exams for £22 with a report as well.
Good luck anyway.
drucan

Post by drucan »

Dear team, it's an excellent idea to organise this. My son also would like to attend. Please let me know whom to contact, what's next. Many thanx
mikeboz

Post by mikeboz »

If you child is constantly scoring 75% or more in the practice papers - he/she WILL pass most common entrance exams without a doubt.

Mock exams are not really to achieve a standardised score - they only differ for a few points within the same year grouping anyway (see my earlier post above).
Standardised scores are only really used to separate the same raw scores achieved and to produce a list from first - last. If a child of 10y1m and a another of 10y 11m score 75% on the same test - the SS would be around 127 and 125 - little difference - but sufficient to rank order the results. Raw scores of 75% plus are required consistently - or a total raw score of approx 225 over the 3 tests.

We have 5 parties interested so far in the Mock exam on 1/9/12 - if you are interested - see post above - send me a PM.
traffordite

Post by traffordite »

It’s not just about scores, it’s more about getting the most out of the test. If my DS does not reach the ‘pass’ mark then I would want to know why and the way forward. I believe I am not in a position to do this as I’m not a qualified teacher.

My tutor is a fully qualified primary and secondary school teacher so she can give me the feedback I require and address any issues before the real test.

So, all in all, I think using a professionally qualified tutor for the test is the best option for me.
mikeboz

Post by mikeboz »

100% agree Traffordite.
Testing should be about finding out about what is known - so the teacher/tutor/parent ... can address the areas not understood by the child, however... a mock exam - a few weeks before the exam(s) is far too late for issues to be resolved. It should be about breaking down the unknown factors/barriers in attending an exam, in a different setting, with unfamiliar adults and children, thereby improving prospects for the big day! A little bit like a full dress rehearsal. Many parents will enter their child in another school's entance exam - solely for this purpose, and if you read their posts - it seems to have been of benefit.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now