Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Haze77

AGGS Preparation for 2013

Post by Haze77 »

Hi.

We already have 1 daughter at AGGS.
Second daughter will be taking the Entrance exams in 2013.

What is the best method of preparation please? is it best to get a tutor or to teach at home?

For tutors, could you please pm me with recommended tutors in the Altrincham area?
Is it best time to get a tutor now or wait until later in the year. A lot of tutors already seem to be fully booked.

Our second daughter is at an average level in her class group in Year 5 at the moment. First daughter was naturally gifted and always at the top of her class group. So we are a bit anxious about second daughter.

What sort of help should we give her at home to prepare her for the eleven plus exams? We would be grateful if you can share what the best sort of materials to use etc are?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
gatleymum

Re: AGGS Preparation for 2013

Post by gatleymum »

Hesitate to give advice until we see how my DD does tomorrow..!

I can, however, tell you how we have bumbled through the last 12 months..

The tutor/no tutor debate is covered on this site in many places. We didn't, due to DD's refusal to even countenance one. Actually explaining things myself was fine, and organising what to do, the problems were with her lack of confidence, where a tutor might have been better.

Materials: we used bond books initially - useful as a supply of questions on particular (maths) topics. less useful in that they cover areas they don't need to know (VR/NVR particularly) and they aren't multiple choice, so don't help with strategies for that.

Schofield and Simms - useful for learning/practicing maths topics in key stage 2 which they may not yet have covered at school.

GL Assessment Papers - these are like the real thing, so are useful also to practice timings, strategies etc. But there are only 8 of them for each subject. We have run out. (Not that DD is sad about that.)

Hope some of that is useful!
Haze77

Post by Haze77 »

Hi.

Many Thanks for the reply.

And good luck to all those that took the tests this year. I had forgotten that it is a very stressful time.

Another question is what factors do we need to consider before selecting a tutor? We have a choice of at least three but don't know on what basis to select.

One of the tutors is different in that she is from the current Primary School and has daily contact with the child anyway. Will going with this tutor be an advantage?

Will there be any difference between a tutor that is a qualified teacher as opposed to one who is only a teaching assistant?

Or is the number of years that they have been tutoring more important?

All help greatly appreciated.

many Thanks in advance.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Hi,

In my opinion. I think you should go with the tutor who has most experience managing the 11+ exams, and has had students beforehand who have taken the 11+.

You may have to wait a bit more to get more replies from other forum parnets, as most current 11+ parents are still recovering or feeling the after-shocks of this years' entrance test which happened last sat....many will be able to comment on your questions as the ripples settle.

All the best! :)