aharris

Re: AGGS-no of candidate sit for and passed

Post by aharris »

Thanks, GPS. You are spot on.
GPS

Post by GPS »

There are a couple of puzzling things about these latest stats:

The figures for 12/13 show '892 so far' sat the exam, but we have heard from llol39 earlier that 930 was the figure this year.

Also, the figures for 11/12 have 898 sitting the exam that year, when we have heard from CarpeDiem that she was told that 903 had sat that year.

The most suprising thing is that the percentage of candidates that passed is significantly higher this year than previously.
You should not see this when the pass mark is set against a standardised score and the standardisation has been done just within the group that sat that particular exam.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

The figure I gave of 903 was one supplied to me in May 12 so may have included some late sitters.

They may have supplied just the original stats as last year all in catchment children who were on the waiting list and still wanted a place must have got in as the last child admitted for Sept this year was 5th on the waiting list and 100m out of catchment with a sibling.

With regard to the passes I think they will extend this figure if the increase in passes are from within catchment children as these are the children they particularly want IMO. This happened with their very first 7 form entry.
WP

Post by WP »

GPS wrote:The most surprising thing is that the percentage of candidates that passed is significantly higher this year than previously.
You should not see this when the pass mark is set against a standardised score and the standardisation has been done just within the group that sat that particular exam.
Are you certain that the scores aren't standardized to a national sample? But even if it is based on the cohort, the distribution might not be a perfect normal distribution, e.g. a few more extreme scores could push the standard deviation up so you'd have more people close to the mean.
Manchestermum

Post by Manchestermum »

I'm not sure I get all of this - all rather confusing! Are you saying Carpe Diem that as more in catchment girls have passed this year then they may consider a 7 form entry in 2013? Do you know for definite that is what happens??
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I do not know for definate that this is what will happen for 2013 but this is what happend with the yr group that are now in the upper 6th. They had so many in-catchment passes they applied for their first seven form entry to accomodate them. They standardise against the cohort taking the exam not against national score statistics which is why a pass at AGGS is traditionally harder to gain than a pass at the grammars that standardise against national scores.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Sorry for sounding stupid but what's a year 7 form entry exactly? I'm not following. :?:
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

AGGS's PAN is 174 which they arrange in 6 classes of 29 girls.

The current Years 7, 8 and 9 are like this.

However, the current Years 10 and 11 are bigger. In those years they admitted up to 203, giving 7 classes of 29. (The current Years 12 and 13 were also 7 form entry years but with leavers after GCSEs and new arrivals in the sixth form the figures vary now.)

My daughters are in Years 12 and 10. Even though they were 7 form entries, at the time of taking the exam the advertised PAN was still 174.

I have a feeling that in order to admit an extra class the school has to agree it with the LEA as, obviously, this can impact considerably on other schools in the authority. However, I have never looked at this in detail so I don't speak with any experience on this point!
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Halemum wrote:Sorry for sounding stupid but what's a year 7 form entry exactly? I'm not following. :?:
Thanks for the explanation TM.

Halemum- 7 form entry means instead of having 6 forms (or classes or sections) in the year, they may have 7 form (or classes or sections) to accomodate extra 30 girls.

It all depends how many girls have given as Ist preference, as many girls pass from outside 8 miles also so they will need to be taken out from the total passed figure. Also, some would have filled SGS and Loretto as Ist preference who also passed AGGS.

I think it is LEA who suggest to school to make it 7 instead of 6 form.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Thank you Trafford Mum And Topsyturvy for taking the time to explain it to me in simple terms. I now understand. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now