2nd Round Offers for AGGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Halemum

Re: 2nd Round Offers for AGGS?

Post by Halemum »

bns wrote:
topsyturvy wrote:This year more strict proof are being sought by GS hence I am sure the movement in waiting list will be higher than last year.
do you really think there a significant number of parents trying "it on" shocking if true!!
Well they have in the past. One of my clients told me today that their neighbour's grandchildren are registered under their address in Hale so that they can attend GS even though they're out of catchment!

Another child who was two years above my DD at the local primary also used their grandparents address to gain a place as their own local primary wasn't up to scratch.

I'm sure there are plenty of fraudsters around. I hope they all get caught out this year!!
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

Wigwam on what grounds do you think you could appeal? You have told us you moved in December which allows the school to use your new nearer address only after the first round of offers on 1 March.

If you have the patience to wait then I think you would have a good chance of getting an offer from your new address after some of the 1st round offers are rejected or perhaps caught out cheating!

Later this month it should become clear how many 1st round offers can be reissued for the 2nd round. I have to say that last year there was no real 2nd round only a very slow waiting list but I think the crack down on residence evidence will work in your favour in flushing more offers through the system.

Good luck
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

Excellent question and to be honest the more I think about it the more I was wondering the same - I welcome any suggestions! :?
I think the only basis of appeal is the oversubscription criteria but really the school did follow the rules so a retrospective appeal about that I guess is doomed to failed.

I found it interesting that the Trafford LEA had my current/new address passed onto them by the school not the address I applied from.
What confounds me is the generic advice even from the LEA admission officers "you should of course also consider appealing".
The deadline for appeal is 3rd May accoring to the form AGGS sent me.
LEA said position about 2nd round will be clearer by the end of March so I am inclined to try to wait until just before Easter and see what the position is.

I have nothing to lose by having some patience. If I get a 2nd round offer then excellent; if in the meantime I can rustle up any semblence of an appeal mitigation then also excellent.
If not then I have to tighten my belt somewhat :roll: and look to MHGS which of course I have no problem with per se other than the financial benefits.
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

Just spoke to LEA.
"Very unlikely" to be any 2nd round this year.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

wigwam12 wrote:Just spoke to LEA.
Rubbish!! I know of a definite 3 girls that were offered a place and rejected it to go to Withington, Manchester High and Sale Grammar.

Unless of course AGGS send out more than 174 offers? Quite risky if they do, what if they all accept?

Ring AGGS and ask them instead if there's going to be a second round. LEA don't know their a**e from their elbow.
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

I did - they said they don't know as they are waiting to hear back from LEA.
LEA were quite categorical that AGGS is still oversubscribed.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

AGGS usually over offer by a few places as they know some will be rejected which is risky but has historically worked out OK. Last year I believe there were a lot of siblings in the cohort which meant that almost all the first round offers were accepted and the places turned down only took them back to PAN which is why there were no second round offers and just a very slow waiting list. Even so by end of July last year all qualified children within the 8 mile catchment who still required a place had managed to be admitted either via appeal or the waiting list.
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

doesn't look like it will happen.
spoke to LEA - 5 places to allocate in Round 2 and DD ranked 10th :(
Valmont

Post by Valmont »

Halemum wrote:
wigwam12 wrote:Just spoke to LEA.
Rubbish!! I know of a definite 3 girls that were offered a place and rejected it to go to Withington, Manchester High and Sale Grammar.
Really? Why on earth would they turn down a place at AGGS in favour of two fee paying schools and an inferior grammar? Would take that with a handful of salt frankly!
MOLLYDANCERS

Post by MOLLYDANCERS »

Valmount,

I wouldn't say any of the Grammar Schools in Trafford are inferior, they are all very good schools & they all have different things to offer. Just because a school may be higher up on a league table doesn't mean it's the right school for the child. I know quite a few parents that didn't put AGGS down as a first choice and all for different reasons. I agree it's a fantastic school but all the other schools are excellent too, it all depends where your child would be happiest.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now