Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
busybee10

Schools

Post by busybee10 »

Hi- I have 2 children and my eldest will be siiting his entrance exams in 2 1/2 years. They go to a local primary and things just aren't working out at all. There have been lots of issues and changes at the school and my youngest is so unhappy I can see his work deteriorating and the school haven't been brilliant.
After lots of persevering we have decided that we will probably have to go down the private route (I will have to go full time- not ideal!)and wonder if any parents can give us know of any of there own experiences. We live outside Altrincham and have looked at MGS, Altrincham Prep and St Ambrose (Forest and Hale have no spaces).
Thank you
smiler10

Re: Schools

Post by smiler10 »

I guess it depends whether you want a mixed school or not and if you want them to go to the Alty or Sale Grammar. Don't know much about MGS prep (although seniors meant to be great). I think APS gets good pass rates into the Grammar schools- we looked round and were very impressed. Not so sure about St Ambrose, I don't think it get's as good GS results as the other Prep's?
We have been lucky and DS is really settled now in a lovely primary- have you wondered about looking round some of them, there may still be places?
Hope everything works out ok :wink:
Valmont

Post by Valmont »

Few children breeze through primay school without some teething issues. I assume your child is in year 3 at the moment? This is a tough year for most children, the transition from infants to juniors, more homework and more serious stuff in class like times tables and weekly spelling tests! Be patient, speak to the teachers and if necessary employ a private tutor to bring them up to scratch. Taking them out of school should be a last resort.
Altymumof2

Post by Altymumof2 »

Hi- I have friends with boys at St Ambrose and while they are very happy with the school, they all had to get tutors to help with exam practice. If you intend to send your children to the Grammar schools you would probably be best to check that MGS prepare them for the exams and not just for their senior school?
busybee10

Post by busybee10 »

Thanks for all the advice. We went to look round St Ambrose and MGS and have decided to stay where we are for the time being unless a place comes up at APS or Forest.
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

I think that Hale, Altrincham Prep and Forest are more geared towards passing the grammar school's than Ambrose but there are some very good local state primary's that may be worth looking at?
Elijo

Post by Elijo »

Ravenbank primary in Lymm is really excellent. The able children are really pushed. I am sure it must be just as good as any private school.
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

You can't compare Ravenbank to a prep. At our prep almost everybody passed grammar school exams this year. State primary is good for very able children, but "average" have a better chance at a prep.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

Having had my children attend both an excellent primary and a prep, I can honestly say there is a wealth of difference. State schools simply can't compete with the smaller class sizes, plus they are 'preparatory' schools ie all about preparing for the entrance exams.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Do all boys who go to Altricham Prep pass the entrance test?

Have not seen any hisotrical data on this?

I dont think all children who go to private prep pass the 11+ test for Trafford. Any data or comaprison if done by anyone will be usefull.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now