Year 5 moms lets begin our quest!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rimi01

Year 5 moms lets begin our quest!!

Post by rimi01 »

Hello everyone,
My DS has just began year 5 and I was wondering if we all who are just starting year 5 can get to know each other and exchange ideas. I see lots of people who are year 6 . Good luck to your DD and DS for exams. We would be most greatful if you share your experience with us.
It'sme!

Re: Year 5 moms lets begin our quest!!

Post by It'sme! »

Hi,
I'm rather depressed to find myself here again. DD1 sat (and failed) her entrance in 2011, I endured 2 appeals (one for a different High School, and another for SaleGS), thankfully I won both, but my sanity (and liver) are only just getting over it. She is now in Y8 and is doing really, really well.
I'm *really* hoping for a smoother ride this time :) My fears for my current Y5 are a lot different than her sisters. On paper, her marks are better than her sisters, but her work ethic is the polar opposite :roll:
I wish I could offer more positivity..........I suppose it tests the best of us, but I would do it all again to get my eldest to the school she is doing so well in......bit like giving birth I suppose :lol:
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Hi It's me. I think all children are different and we have to reinvent the wheel every time . What have you done till now? Are you self tutoring or taking help?
I am DIYing partly because I didn't book any tutor in advance and partly because I was confident that I can coach my son better than anyone.
yunny

Post by yunny »

Hi, I too have a yr 5 daughter and me and hubby have been tutoring her ourselves with the usual bond books, 10 minute test books, VR and NVR, not starting on the GL papers till next year! Will also be hiring a tutor probs around next easter time as have learnt from last time over my son who didn't get into Alty boys but is now doing ever so well in Y9 at high school.

I thought DIYing would be enough for my son, but looking back now, should have hired a tutor to cover anything I may have missed. Other people may disagree with me but u know when your thinking if only......
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Please can you PM me tutor telephone numbers.
Do tutors take students from Easter ? I was thinking of a summer booster type of coaching for him.
It'sme!

Post by It'sme! »

We had a group tutor after school club for a while. but dd complained she (the teacher) shouted at them when they got answers to the questions wrong. After asking around (a lot) other parents and children backed my dd up, so we quickly knocked that one on the head.
We're using a local tutor centre this time. DIY would not work for us. Homework is *fun* enough lol! We've got plenty of Bond books etc from a couple of years ago, to dip into as and when. My eldest dd was so close, I can't help but think we should try and do a bit more than last time, when I was determined not to make too big a deal of it........
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

GL Assessments Verbal and Non verbal Reasoning explained are good books to begin.