age standardisation of scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
topsyturvy

Re: age standardisation of scores

Post by topsyturvy »

Interesting topic brewing here,

AGGS do give final score in the results letter so a child who has received 420 (420 is the maximum- 140+140+140)and is September born means that the child must have answered all questions right.

Question for the eager Statisticians amongst us!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Not necessarily. 140 (or in some areas 141) is a cutoff beyond which scores are not recorded because they become statistically unreliable. So it is possible to get a maximum standardised score without getting a maximum raw score. Have a look at this example from Kent and you'll see that in this case a 141 score doesn't equate to a 100% raw score. In theory, with a true normal distribution, only about 0.3% should achieve 140 or above. In practice with 11+, and the effect of coaching, it is often significantly more - in Kent last year 882 children out of 11451 scored 420 or over i.e. 7.70%
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

I am sure you can get 140 without getting 100%. There will be some variable factors in the calculation. 140 would be score given to the child with the highest raw score which doesn't necessarily have to be 100%. You could have 2 different children with different raw scores getting the same standardised score too.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Cross posted with above :D
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

You can definitely get 140 or 141 without getting 100%.

Stretford Grammar gave raw scores as well as the standardised score a couple of years ago and I know of an example of an older child in the year where this happened on one of the papers where the standardised score was the max and the raw score was definitely not 100%
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

DD (Autumn birthday) scored 141 in one particular subject for an 11+ exam she took last year - spoke to relevant school about something unrelated but thought I'd enquire, they confirmed she achieved the 'highest score possible' in that subject - but didn't mention percentages. I find the standardisation so confusing - best not to think about it too deeply perhaps, unlike me who did last year :roll:
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

They could have meant, she got the highest score anyone got on that test, not necessarily full marks (although of course that is possible).

Similarly ds (birthday half way through the year) got full marks on papers within his tests, in terms of standardised score, and I was really intrigued at the time as to his raw scores. Now on the other hand, it's completely irrelevant :lol:

We get so wrapped up in all this over the exam period and once March is gone you've forgotten about it.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Could someone post a little bit more help on this topic pls. Is a there a formula applied to raw scores to arrive at ultimate score, and this score is then standardized for age. Is this how it works. How can the paper being diffcult or easy not make any difference. And where does one get information wheather the school standardized the scores to national cohort or local cohort.

When we went to the open evening in abgs, a person from admission explained that Gl does this....and they themsleve dont know how it is done. All they do in school is to mark the papers and score each one of them for 141, and pass it onto GL. English creative writing is maked in school and used internal review.

Could someone help shed light pls.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

If you have a look here you'll find an explanation of how standardisation works.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Okanagan wrote:If you have a look here you'll find an explanation of how standardisation works.

Thanks Okanagan, that was most helpful. I am trying my best not to worry about all this, My DS doesn't have a care in the world about his scores, as far he is concerned he is happy with what he has done in the exams, and they are finished. I usually dont worry for these kind of things....but lately the tension and stress has taken hold of me....not particularly the exam, but the wait for the results.

I wish they would come fast.......