Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Oshosh

Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Post by Oshosh »

Hello everyone,

Just wanted some advice and input. Yesterday we went to see the local academy in our area. It is a outstanding school by the inspection report and has very good GCSE results and 'a' level results for the past decade. It is very oversubscribed. Anyway this was our first time in, and DS was not with us as he is on a school trip, and would be visiting later next week.

The first thoughts are, the school is very comparable to all the grammar schools we have been to now. The building is brilliant and it seems to have all facilities.
Subjects- they offer scienc to y7,y8 and separate options- biology,physic and chemistry at y9 onwards. They also offer one language french or spanish- but the kids do not get to choose, and they learn that thru' to y10. Apart from these, there are subjects like RE,Design and technology, food and nutriton,art,music and PE.And of course maths and english, history and geography.

All this seems very similar to a grammar school, well AGBS do not offer design and tecnology, but offer business studies. They also offer three langauges, of choice. Three sciences as single subject from y7.

What should I be looking for here. I am not able to say which is better. Could someone, more knowledgable in this, contribute here. It will help all of us who waiting for results now, to make up our minds.

And pls feel free to correct me if i am wrong about something that ABGS offer. This was the first schoool we went to, and we didn't know what to ask. And pls add on what the other facilities that trafford grammar schools offer which are different to local state academy.

Thanks for taking the time to read and input.
Mr147

Re: Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Post by Mr147 »

Hi Osh -

I hope that you are talking about ACA - I hear nothing but great reports about this School, my DS will probably go here if we miss out on AGSB, SG or St Amb.

We haven't been to an open day though so can I ask, did you arrange a visit just for yourself and who took you around the School, how long did it take and did you just ring up and request a look around?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions :shock:
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

No, it is not ACA, not so sure what it stands for. Whats the full name. This school is near where we live, and we went to the open evening, and we had y10 tour guide, who took us around the school.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Oshosh wrote:No, it is not ACA, not so sure what it stands for. Whats the full name. This school is near where we live, and we went to the open evening, and we had y10 tour guide, who took us around the school.
Which academy school are you talking about?
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Nimbus wrote:
Oshosh wrote:No, it is not ACA, not so sure what it stands for. Whats the full name. This school is near where we live, and we went to the open evening, and we had y10 tour guide, who took us around the school.
Which academy school are you talking about?

Its a local school near us...
davids3511

Post by davids3511 »

If ACA is the college of arts, I wouldn't have sent my son there. Some of their students used to walk past our bus stop in the mornings when son was in primary. They generally couldn't look more untidy or smoked much more pot on the way to school. Only anecdotal I know but no way was my son going there.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Hi, To be honest in my opinion I think it is the cohort rather than the teaching that makes the difference. (Teaching I have found to be both good and not so good at both Grammar and HighSchool) Having a similar range of ability children who mostly have parents who want them to acheive to the best of their ability makes things run more smoothly. Six years ago I would have swam through **** or high water if it would have guaranteed my DD that place at a Grammar, fortunately after months of anguish, like most of you are feeling right now, my prayers were answered! Now we are facing sixth form decisions, it is Local High School V Grammar. Believe it or not my Dd and myself are both in agreement that the Local High School has the edge, the teachers were extremely enthusiastic and encouraging, the place was vibrant and happy, the courses on offer varied but the subjects my daughter wishes to take were available at both schools. Whilst the Grammar needed a higher GCSE grades for entry the courses my daughter wants to take required the same grade level at the High school, which would indicate similar ability students on the course. Now next year my DS will be sitting for a Grammar school place, will I still be anxiously waiting biting my nails in the hope of that coveted prize ? You bet I will, as for me whilst they are young and impressionable and still needing that extra push, there is no better place than a Grammar for keeping them focused.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

wilmslowmum wrote:Hi, To be honest in my opinion I think it is the cohort rather than the teaching that makes the difference. (Teaching I have found to be both good and not so good at both Grammar and HighSchool) Having a similar range of ability children who mostly have parents who want them to acheive to the best of their ability makes things run more smoothly. Six years ago I would have swam through **** or high water if it would have guaranteed my DD that place at a Grammar, fortunately after months of anguish, like most of you are feeling right now, my prayers were answered! Now we are facing sixth form decisions, it is Local High School V Grammar. Believe it or not my Dd and myself are both in agreement that the Local High School has the edge, the teachers were extremely enthusiastic and encouraging, the place was vibrant and happy, the courses on offer varied but the subjects my daughter wishes to take were available at both schools. Whilst the Grammar needed a higher GCSE grades for entry the courses my daughter wants to take required the same grade level at the High school, which would indicate similar ability students on the course. Now next year my DS will be sitting for a Grammar school place, will I still be anxiously waiting biting my nails in the hope of that coveted prize ? You bet I will, as for me whilst they are young and impressionable and still needing that extra push, there is no better place than a Grammar for keeping them focused.

Thanks, your views does put things in perspective. I was quite amused with the fact some poster were more interested in the academy that i was talking about rather putting forward some good points about grammar schools.made me wonder a bit.....

Maybe in another few years, i would be able to reflect like yourself above. But certainly thanks for your input.
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

Oshosh- We were just understandably curious to find out where this academy was, after you had rated it so highly- I don't think there was anything strange in that?
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Yes smiler 10, i understand that bit, but my concern was why posters did not voice anything for the grammar school, especially when this is a very pro grammar school forum.