Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parthiban

Re: Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Post by parthiban »

Hi Oshosh, I understand exactly where you are coming from with this whole dilemma of GS vs high schools. My DS is current y7 so I went through the turmoil of this same dilemma. Grammar school was never even an option as we had bought a house yards from my son's primary with the high school opposite the road. We had it set in mind that's where he was going to go until my son came to end of yr 5 and I was more keen to know about the high school opposite. It is an outstanding religious school but I too noticed children smoking outside (far away from school in car parks near local shopping places but still in their uniform) and had very mixed views from parents: some extremely happy with the education, behaviour (these are the ones in the top set though) and some very negative comments from other parents. Although I knew my son would be stretched and given fantastic opportunities as he was already going for extra maths with that high school teachers ( ours was the feeder school) I still had my concerns because of the attitudes of some minority of children who came to that school who had no aspirations or the right attitude to education ( I'm not being judgmental but sadly it is a harsh truth I had to accept that not all the children come from a supportive family background and given opportunities to aspire and achieve!). Whilst I strongly believe my son has a choice and if he has the right attitude it shouldn't affect his education or behaviour, I thought an environment where he had more positive influences will be beneficial for him. I work in a school so I knew how important positive environment is for children to perform.My husband also at that time lost his job and found employment towards knutsford area which meant I had more options so decided to speak to my son about grammar schools as it is a huge ask from a 10 year old to leave all his friends behind but I wasn't naïve I knew we only had 2 months to get to grips with 11+ but we knew he could do it as he was already quite stretched in his local primary because he was on the G&T register( forgive me if I come across as boasting I just wanted to state that he was capable of doing that within a short time frame). If my son had been an average or a child who struggles with his education I would have never put him through it. Having attended the first meeting and talking to his head teacher, form tutor and teachers a few weeks ago I do sincerely believe it was the right decision for him as he is happy, made so many friends and doing very well in his new grammar school but it is very important to know your child before you make the choice for them as it's their happiness that's very important as even the brightest child wouldn't be able to perform if they're unhappy in their school. Good luck with your choice but you know your child better than anybody so go with what your heart says. :D
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

it was the right decision for him as he is happy, made so many friends and doing very well in his new grammar school but it is very important to know your child before you make the choice for them
Well said if you truly stand back at look at your childs abilities/strengths objectively you will know what is best for them. Nothing is worse than pushing a child down a path that is not right for them even if you had the best intentions.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks for your thoughts Parthiban. My DS had a liking for the all the GS he visited, but i know in my heart he will be happy with his friends in a local high school.but i also know, he will make new friends wherever he goes,he is quite adaptable.

Pending the results, i have now decided 3 choices for DS school application.

Thank you everyone for your kind input,advice and thoughts. It was all most helpful, and have put my mind at rest and peace. :D
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

I have to say this, I find the post from davids3511 incredibly ignorant, reactionary and insulting to the majority of kids and parents associated with ACA. My daughter is in yr 10 there, having been pulled out of another local comp due to her having an excessive homework load and bullying/social exclusion. Ever since starting at ACA she has enjoyed school so much, not least because of the lovely friends she has made. There is a small element of pupils who have behaviour issues, which happens at ALL schools, and was in fact much worse at her previous school. If you hang about at any high school at chucking out time, there is going to be kids smoking, swearing etc, this includes grammar schools, and private schools(believe me, I live near a certain independent school and there is a smoking area where kids hang out and smoke drugs) Very few people get the fantastic opportunity to go to a grammar school, the rest of the population, like my daughter, couldn't quite manage it and have to make the best of the other options, so, yes grammar schools are fantastic, but not the only viable option.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Totally agree on the smoking thing - I went to a boarding indie for sixth form and quite a few girls disappeared down to the gym showers in the evening to smoke and there were rumours of weekend parties involving cannabis. I never felt the need to be in that crowd though. I was also disappointed to see boys form my son's GS smoking in town whilst wearing uniform- DS can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke so he just thinks they are wierd- just have to hope it lasts.
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

Osh - My DD is in y8 at AGGS and has recently been sent a letter stating that she needs some extra help with her Library time and her reading levels - this includes mentoring at the end of each session from her teacher, as well as a request for us to monitor her reading at home and to actively sign her diary to show what she has read to us.

We were quite taken aback by receiving this letter as she is actually very good with her reading and always has been a high performer in this subject, both through Junior and in Y7.

We also had the same thing in Y7 with her Maths (which again she has always done well with). Her grades have been very good and parents evenings have also been very good.

She wasn't a girl who was tutored to the hilt to pass AGGS (she passed by 28 points so didn't scrape in) - She was always in the top groups at junior School too.

I just think that especially at AGGS, they only except the very best, any sign of slowing down and they are right on top if things. My DD often says how bright some of the girls are in her class (getting 98% in tests etc.) We have to remind her constantly that she is a very bright girl but this School has ALL of the brightest girls from around the area.

I guess what I am trying to explain is that at AGGS, they seemingly will not let anyone struggle or slack - they give full attention to all pupils, all of the time.

I would add that unless your DD is a lover of School work, assignments or projects then I would seriously consider another option - even if she passed the exam, as they are full on with the levels that they expect from each and every girl there!

Hope this helps?
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks for sharing your experience Mr147 - I do know they have a mentoring system in place there, and any girls that need a little help in certain areas shall always be offered that support, either from teachers or older girls. I'm quite curious, especially as the school comes out with such high end results how many girls are actually mentored 'in house' and if many of those are girls who were very much tutored/prepped for their exam?

Perhaps only 98% - 100% is good enough? Quite a bit of pressure I would imagine for even the brightest of the bright.

I think AGGS and it's ethos is possibly a bit like marmite :D
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

:)
Last edited by agsbmad on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

busybee10 wrote:
davids3511 wrote:If ACA is the college of arts, I wouldn't have sent my son there. Some of their students used to walk past our bus stop in the mornings when son was in primary. They generally couldn't look more untidy or smoked much more pot on the way to school. Only anecdotal I know but no way was my son going there.
I agree david3511, I have seen them smoking too (only the tobacco variety though!) and I know of one boy there with an ASBO, but it is meant to be improving! I know of parents that are very happy with it and there are meant to be a lot of very enthusiastic and driven teaching staff. It is definitely meant to be a school 'on the up'!
Well I already know of 2 families that have taken their children OUT due to the bad company they were keeping. Neither wanted their sons to end up with a police record. And these boys were lovely, sweet snd innocent before ACA gang culture reared its ugly head.
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

Halemum wrote:
busybee10 wrote:
davids3511 wrote:
Well I already know of 2 families that have taken their children OUT due to the bad company they were keeping. Neither wanted their sons to end up with a police record. And these boys were lovely, sweet snd innocent before ACA gang culture reared its ugly head.
Same here, heard that they hardly get any homework and there is not enough hours of maths/English per week. I think it is one of the few undersubscribed schools in Trafford.