AGGS proof of residency

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Halemum

AGGS proof of residency

Post by Halemum »

Hi all.
We've been given a place for our DD at AGGS. We live just within one mile of the school so there's no problems there. I have all the proof of residency required except that the last letter we seem to have from the child benefits agency is dated 2009! We don't take tax credits so there's no letter from them to send as proof. Does anyone know if our old letter will suffice?

Do you get a confirmation to say they've received your response and your place is final? I have fears of my letter getting lost in the post, not hearing anything and then finding out she doesn't have a place now. We've worked so hard to get this far that I'm just incredibly over anxious and am starting to imagine worst case scenarios. :cry:

Someone please alleviate my fears. :(

Reading this back, I can see how pathetic I sound.
greengrass

Re: AGGS proof of residency

Post by greengrass »

Hello,
Same question from me too. We dont claim any benefits so cannot show any such proof. I am incredibly worried that this would mean my daughter wont be able to get a place after passing through so much hurdle :(
Popcorn

Post by Popcorn »

Hi

This is my first post. I already have a daughter at AGGS and have been offered a place for DD2. I can't find any child benefit correspondence anywhere so phoned the Benefit Office who have informed that it could take up to 2 weeks to send me something. I would have thought having DD1 there would have been enough. I didn't have to do this for DD1! Now panicking in case don't get reply from Child Benefit Office in time!! What a performance!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sounds crackers to think anyone could lose a place as they don't have a CB letter - it is not a legal requirement to claim CB and in fact nowadays some people don't. Suggest you ask them what else would do...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The offer of a place can only be withdrawn if the school can show that you have provided false or misleading information. They cannot withdraw it simply because you can't provide a specific piece of evidence.

You need to call the school (or Admissions, if that is who is expecting the evidence) and ask them what alternative evidence they will accept.

Or you could all invite the school Admissions officer to come round for tea, perhaps? :wink:
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Thanks Sally-Anne,

I will pop an invitation to tea in with my form. They can come and see her bedroom, knock on the neighbours doors and search the attic. :D

I've sent the form off now with the 2009 letter. If they're not happy with that, they'll have to let me know. I can only assume they'll ask for more proof of residency. We have her birth certificate and we're on the electoral roll so they can check that if they want.
greengrass

Post by greengrass »

Hello,
Justed spoke with the admissions officer, and she has advised me to send a NHS Medical Card in my daughters name with current address.
Thankfully, I have that one...so hugely relieved!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The problem is that unless you claim CB, there is often no paperwork at all that demonstrates that the child lives where they do. About the only things are a Building Society account that might have triggered an annual statement of interest or a NHS medical card. (Hardly anyone can ever find the latter, or so it seems!)

Otherwise it is all over to evidence that the parent is resident at the address. Council Tax bill, house purchase documents, utility bill, bank statements, etc.

The only time it gets difficult is when the parents are separated and there is a need to establish exactly where the child is resident. That is when a CB letter is always helpful.

If they start getting funny with you, just offer to go into the school with your full files of personal paperwork so they can see anything they wish to.

(Cross-post with greengrass, who can find the Medical Card! :lol: )
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

No, no medical card here unfortunately. Certainly not with this address on it anyway. We moved to this house 5 years ago (almost to the day). Medical card was issued at birth. I will wait and see what happens. Might need to bring in all the files and neighbours.

Maybe they'll accept the 2009 benefits letter.

I can't imagine being the first and only person to come across this hurdle (as demonstrated in previous posts) but if anyone has gone through this in previous years I would love to hear what happened and how it was overcome.
Popcorn

Post by Popcorn »

I've decided just to send utility bill and council tax bill with a covering letter explaining I've got no Child Agency correspondence. Her old school has her address, she is registered at the docs with this address and has a sister at the school already at this address. I tried to phone admissions but can't get to speak with anyone. I think all this is OTT! I never had to do this two years ago with older DD,if I had I would have been prepared. :D