ABGS-out of catchment.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
topsyturvy

Re: ABGS-out of catchment.

Post by topsyturvy »

Mr147 wrote:Is the standardised score worked out during the marking process then or afterwards? Apologies for the confusion - We live less than a mile from AGSB and my DS passed. Does this mean as the scores have already been 'standardised' that we are pretty much guaranteed a place?

So confusing lol!

The criteria for AGSB is postcode based, so if your DS has a passing score and you live in one of the postcodes prefixes for 'within catchment' mentioned in the school policy then you are guaranteed a place.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

J[quote="CarpeDiem"Just to clear things up for anyone looking at this thread.
AGGS- as long as you pass score over 334 is irrelevant entry based on distance fom school and sibling rule. OOC have virtually no chance of entry as often they cannot accomodate all in catchment children up to 8 mile boundary.

AGBS - in catchment score irrelevant so long as passed I have never heard of in catchment qualified not getting in. OOC ranked by score distance irrelevant.[/quote]
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Oshosh wrote:
parents666 wrote:Sorry still finding it a bit confusing. School can say no to a child who has scored 380plus! That score is excellent whether in or out if catchment area! May be I am unable to understand the system.
Hello parents666, i am not abel to understand as well. I hope someone answers your question.

However from what i understand, sale and alty gives places to the catchment children first and then to ooc. Sale's catchment is bigger than alty. So they could sometimes fill their places with catchment children. But alty' catchment is small, and usually there will be some places available for ooc children. I think this system is quite fair.
In AGSB if a child gets 380 he will most likely get a place. The out of catchment eligible score is near about 352-360. Hope this helps
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

parthiban wrote:Dear oshosh from what you are saying I think you are the same as us last year. We did not put any local schools or comp in our choice as I already had to take sale grammar out of choice although his highest score was there and the admissions lady said " wow that is a brilliant score" mainly due to the fact he had passed 4 GS and we only had thre coices :evil: , so we like you said about sale regardless of his score didn't place it anywhere in the caf form (thinking back it hurts as my DS put so much effort into it ) as I had to be realistic about the distance plus the fact we wanted a boys school (just personal choice) but didn't have a single local comp in the form as I was determined to fight :lol: if they didn't allocate one of our choice. I was realistic but also took a great leap of faith applying from a different local authority. I owed it my son as he worked so hard for it. Do not worry ! :D
hello parthiban,

thanks for your thoughts. I just have to be strong like yourself. Yes, just like your DS, my DS scores were all his hardwork, and I can't neglect that, I have now placed sale as third choice, and alty as first and the other grammar school in a different area as second choice. If our first choice is not available than I think we would be offered our second choice. I just have to believe in the system, and carry on. Cant wait for march 1st now..... :wink:
parthiban

Post by parthiban »

Good decision. It won't be long now and come march you will be back with the great news about your offer. It is a horrible wait but hang in there. I 'm sure it will be great news.Good luck. :D
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello, could i bother with another question.

How many places do ABGS offer...is it 174. Because last years PAN in the trafford admissions booklet ( last page) says 164. So were they under- subscribed!!!! How many classes do they have for y7.

Could someone confirm pls. Thanks
altydad

Post by altydad »

They have 6 classes with roughly 30 children in each give or take.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks altydad, that was most helpful :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now