Which VR / NVR booklets to start with (Year 4)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mandy21

Which VR / NVR booklets to start with (Year 4)

Post by Mandy21 »

Have been using Schofield & Simms for some extra maths practice (the mental arithmetic books) but thought I could introduce VR and NVR over the Easter holidays perhaps. Anyone know which ones are best for a (seemingly bright) child in Year 4? I know Altrincham is dropping the NVR but Sale will still have NVR as far as I'm aware.

Many thanks in advance
parents666

Re: Which VR / NVR booklets to start with (Year 4)

Post by parents666 »

My Dc started with Bonds and nearer the time did Gl assessment papers. I bought these papers in school during entrance exam parents evening.
pen&paper

Post by pen&paper »

A good introduction to NVR, with worked examples and practice exercises (multiple-choice format), is the Practise and Pass 'Discover Non-Verbal Reasoning' by Peter Williams (publisher is Trotman) - it is the first of two workbooks. I use this to introduce Year 4 to NVR successfully - then they go on to use the Letts Success Assessment Papers suitable for their age.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Thank you!
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

For VR, Bond 10 min series is a good start in Year 4. Begin with 10 min 9-10 years and if DC struggles, try doing 8-9 years 10 min. You can also do Bond assessment tests, if DC needs challenge.

CGP Books series is also good, specially the one with Practice and Assessment tests. Try 8-9 years as this is slightly challenging than Bond .

Lastly, don't ignore English !! Begin English in Year 4 , with 10 min Bond tests again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now