What is AGGS really like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Moodelay

What is AGGS really like?

Post by Moodelay »

Our DD passed AGGS and Sale Grammar with a score of 383 in both, and as we live in Timperley about 2-3 miles from each it seems she has the luxury of a straight choice. She has had her heart set on AGGS ever since the open evening (until then she hadn't really taken the exam prep seriously, but she was hugely motivated once she'd seen the school) so it feels like a no-brainer, but I can't help worrying about what the school is really like, and if it will be so relentlessly pushy that even she will struggle. I went there myself but left 25 years ago and it's clearly changed beyond recognition since then. Those of you who have sent your girls there, was it the right decision? Our DD is fairly quiet but does have an inner confidence and is academically pretty bright. She has always worked well and competitively with the boys in her class and I suddenly feel very nervous about sending her off for 5 (maybe 7) years in an all-girls school. It seems crazy after all her hard work to be getting cold feet now!
TIDDLYMUM

Re: What is AGGS really like?

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

My friend works there. I believe it to be more academically pressured than the boys. She says there is a great empahasis on self study and self regulation of behaviours, hence discipline doesn't have to be heavy handed at all. My son is at AGSB and the few girls I have met through him have been very nice.

I am sure she will be absolutely fine.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

My eldest is there (in year 11) and has loved it and thrived there. However, she is a very emotionally mature girl who is organised and quite motivated....she has friends who have struggled a lot and I'm not sure how much support they have received (after year 8). The overall feeling I get is that it is quite intense.
Moodelay

Post by Moodelay »

Thanks for the feedback both - much appreciated
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

From info gleaned from friends who have children at AGGS it is a pressurised environment where even when you have performed highly they still ask you how you could improve further but it is also very supportive on any weaker areas of study. The girls are encouraged to self study to keep up in their weaker areas and attend extra lessons/clubs in those areas. My friends kids love it but they are laid back girls who are very self motivated. I personally think that this not a school for children who have any doubt in their abilities or fret about where they would sit in a cohort.
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

Our DD does not find it particularly taxing academically. I would say there is quite a wide range of ability.

What I would say are the key characteristics of the school are ;
it is strict so better suited to a girl who feels secure with lots of rules rather than a free spirt/ rebel.
It is very much a girls school so best suited to the girl who lives in a girls world and prefers to forget that boys exist.

I think the teachers are pretty good. If your daughter really wants a girls school then I think you would go a long way to find a better one. Although having said that one girl in my daughter's class left after a year for the independent school she had been at the the prep school of on the grounds that AGGS teaching was just not as good....
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"Although having said that one girl in my daughter's class left after a year for the independent school she had been at the the prep school of on the grounds that AGGS teaching was just not as good...."

I have a foot in both camps, my daughter is in yr 8 of AGGS and son attends The Grange School in Hartford.Academically you could not put a cigarette paper between them except one is co-ed and not to mention the £10k for the privilege :x

I would say teaching standards are similar .

My son got more homework in yr 7 more w/e projects ect how useful it was is debatable.

The homework in yr 7 is not overly taxing few pieces a week if you are lucky not much more in in yr8 so far.

Prep children would find the transition from small classes of 14-16 to 30+ more difficult , the teachers cannot spoon feed them as much which is no bad thing I know my daughter found it difficult at first but has now adapted well.

as the song goes "AGGS, AGGS if you can make it there you can make it anywhere" :D

results are outstanding often doing better then most super-selective schools ! so they must be doing something right.

best state school in the country?
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

CarpeDiem wrote:From info gleaned from friends who have children at AGGS it is a pressurised environment where even when you have performed highly they still ask you how you could improve further but it is also very supportive on any weaker areas of study. The girls are encouraged to self study to keep up in their weaker areas and attend extra lessons/clubs in those areas. My friends kids love it but they are laid back girls who are very self motivated. I personally think that this not a school for children who have any doubt in their abilities or fret about where they would sit in a cohort.
My DD is in Y9 and I would agree with this totally!

I mentioned on a previous post that last years end of term parents evening left me worrying that DD might be behind in a few areas - her report came and green for every single subject (ahead of expectations) - 100% is never enough academically at AGGS.

Lot's of pressure - DD struggled to settle in Y7 but now has her own bunch of like minded friends and is thriving and loving school life.

It is almost like they treat it as a privileged and select club, where they ensure the girls (and parents) realise just how lucky they are to be there (some might call it very snobbish), and it certainly feels like it when you attend functions there but....you simply cannot argue with their results academically and every girl I speak to who goes there is very well mannered, rounded and certainly confident!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Having exalted the merits AGGS I do have some minor niggles.

Parents evening last yr was a shambles!

teachers at different parts of the building , I am not well and going up and down stairs did not do my health much good.

We did not even get to have an appt with the Maths and English teachers, they had some sort of lottery? to see who would see them. I did manage to see the English teacher as no one was waiting at his/her desk,so I took my chance sat down and announced who I was with my daughter sitting next to me.She/he looked at me and my daughter blankly, obviously she/he had no idea who she was! she/he took note of the name looked down at her test results and said some thing like "oh ******** is one my best girls" how could she/he say this since given that 5mins before he/she had no idea who she was!!

I do not like reports given as levels , I have no problem with stating Levels per-se but why can we not have a % mark and a mean % ( and even a mode and range of results)with respect to her yr?

one more thing ,my daughter comes home one day announcing there is trip to India at a cost of approx £2000+ and would like to go :shock: are they having a laugh , I know some very affluent children attend AGGS but it is a state school although we could of afforded this I am sure many parents would not of been able too(in the end my daughter did not want to go since no one in her friendship group were going)

as I said minor niggles but small things bother me.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Regarding reports - One aspect of my DDs school is the reports which have always been thorough, and include individual scores, middle of the % scores across the whole year and highest/lowest % scores across the year in the subject - which gives a great insight.

I possibly was one of those that put AGGS on a pedestal, thinking it the perfect school one could only dream of their daughter attending. Personally I don't think any school is perfect, IMO rare is the school that doesn't cause any niggles and had my DD gone I'd probably find something :wink: One aspect I find interesting though is how much importance really is placed on academia. I like that merits are given at DDs school for not only good work but also for politeness, uniform well presented, time keeping, helpfulness etc. I have had it told to me that merits at AGGS are really only given for academic achievement so it does seem to be a school extremely focused on driving oneself academically. Great for some I'm sure but I can see how the less confident child may feel that pressure.

Regarding Mr147 comments about being in a privileged club - looking back at the open event, it did seem to have an air of aloofness about it and it was very much mentioned how very privileged we would be as parents if our children got to attend such a fantastic school. It really has great results, is always top of school leader boards and that is to be commended of course. In hindsight I now accept a less pressured (academic) environment suits DD where she can relax a little, and that it's ok to not get 100% as long as you try your best.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now