Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oshosh

MFL in AGSB

Post by Oshosh »

Hello,

Just a query.

We have just recevied our induction forms from AGSB. all very exciting........ :D

The 1st choice MFL that DS asked for is French, and second choice was Spanish.What we have been offered is French and German. I am not so sure how to take this :?: DS is fairly okay about learning German, but has done spanish is primary school, but never quite enjoyed it. French and German are new languages for him. Would there be alot of boys in the same circumstance- would the school take into account he has never learnt these languages before. Just wondering wheather i should ring them ask wheather they could offer spanish instead of german.

Do the languages have any impact on university choices. Could someone shed some light - mfl what impact does it have.

Thanks
ToadMum

Re: MFL in AGSB

Post by ToadMum »

As far as I can recall, compulsory MFL at primary level only comes in this September, so the school cannot assume prior knowledge of any of the languages. Presumably AGSB will be familiar with what is and isn't taught at local primary schools? However, indies would almost certainly teach at least French at KS2, so if the school has a significant intake from outside the state sectorhe may feel a little behind initially, but I wouldn't worry too much about this, personally.

If you do want to give him a bit of a grounding before he starts, you could look out for holiday courses at language schools, if you have any locally. Or have a look in a bookshop or your local library - I would suggest getting something with an accompanying CD, given that French (unlike German) pronunciation isn't quite 'see and say' to non-French speakers, IYSWIM :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
NS1

Post by NS1 »

Hi Oshosh, we were in the exact same situation last year. We wanted french and Spanish, but were offered french and German. This has worked out fine as they start from the basics. It is not straightforward to swap the mfl as the two subjects offered are for the whole class, not on individual student choice. Agsb try to guarantee one of your choice. Children can also learn a different mfl as extra curricular or outside of school. Hope this helps, but don't worry the children pick it up very quickly. My DS had not studied either language before and is doing extremely well in them, so whatever they do at AGSB, it works! A minimum of one mfl is required for gcse and I don't think it makes a difference as to which one (unless of course your DS wants to study a particular language at university).
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks toadmum, and NS1,

What are the textbooks used in schools for german and French ,maybe i could start with them at home. Any help is appreciated.