School shoes for Y7 at AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oshosh

Re: School shoes for Y7 at AGSB

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks Tm and viscter for replies.

TM, could i ask :wink: the football trainers that DS has now would be okay for indoor ....but does he need a " football boots "as well a "rugby boots". So two pairs :?: and what is the difference between trainers and boots....sorry if it souns daft....but i am a bit clueless.

I have a gym shoe, a work shoe and going out shoe. Only 3 pairs. I buy every year...and .thats my only knowledge.....with DH working away this summer.....i have to do the shopping for uniform /shoes myself.....so any advise is appreciated.

I must make trip to decathlon next weekend....just after pay day :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Oshosh wrote:Thanks Tm and viscter for replies.

TM, could i ask :wink: the football trainers that DS has now would be okay for indoor ....but does he need a " football boots "as well a "rugby boots". So two pairs :?: and what is the difference between trainers and boots....sorry if it souns daft....but i am a bit clueless.

I have a gym shoe, a work shoe and going out shoe. Only 3 pairs. I buy every year...and .thats my only knowledge.....with DH working away this summer.....i have to do the shopping for uniform /shoes myself.....so any advise is appreciated.

I must make trip to decathlon next weekend....just after pay day :roll:
Trainers that your DS wears for football are unlikely to be suitable for indoor use at secondary school - schools are usually very protective of the flooring in their sports halls and so you definitely need to check that whatever you buy says 'non-marking sole' somewhere. That being said, the running shoes I wear for our predominantly indoor cricket coaching don't say that anywhere although they are. That I learnt courtesy of a delightful assistant in the Chelmsford branch of SD who made it his mission of the day to find me the perfect pair :)

As for the exact requirements for your school, hopefully a parent with a DS already there will be able to advise. If you tell the staff in Decathlon what the school says you need, they should be able to find it / them! for you. Just be prepared for your DS to have to try on lots of pairs before he finds the best fit and for the football boots to be a completely different size from the trainers etc. If he has football socks already, take them along for trying on the boots, also the sports socks he'll be wearing with the trainers - both tend to be thicker than 'everyday' socks.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello Toadmum,

Thanks for advice and tips. I have noted it.

The induction booklets says - white pumps or lightweight training shoes with whit socks as part of pe kit.

Football/ rugby boots with black socks as part of outdoor kit.

Yes i certainly will bring this info with me when i head to the shops.......

I cant believe this is is so complicated....... :roll:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oshosh, another tip, if you intend to get one pair of boots to play both rugby and football in, make sure you go for rugby boots. Rugby boots have safety studs and you can play football in these but it is illegal to play rugby with football studs and, certainly for matches against other schools, the referees should be doing - checks before each game and will not let kids play if they have football studs in. Alternatively you could get two pairs of studs and screw them in before the relevant game but that is a real hassle and unlikely to happen!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks KCG, most helpful. i 'll watch out for the safety studs in rugby boots, and see if DS can use it for both purpose.

Shoes are the most complicated, i think.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Just a thought, is your son a big oaf or a nippy little thing?

The nippy little ones will be put on as "backs" in this case you can easily get away with football boots, but with round studs, check regularly for sharp edges....My ds2, has pics of his carved up leg that was the product of sharp worn studs. Footy boots are lighter and have less grip, so good for running.
Should he be a big oaf, he will be a forward, they need to "dig in" as you will hear the more vocal parents shout, for this they need rugby boots, extra front -, slightly longer studs and ankle support.

Feel for me, I need: indoor trainers, outdoor trainers, football boots, rugby boots, astro trainers, climbing shoes, x country spikes, wellies, hiking boots, water shoes.

Many of those times three....I was so naive a few years ago, now we have a huge empty shoe and boot cupboard in the garage with a massive pile of footwear slung in a mishmash of all sizes and types in front of it: :evil: We also have another huge selection waiting for hand me down!
Occasionally a pair of boots gets left in the kitchen, if I don't realise I start blaming the cat for piddling in the house....sweaty, wet, plastic boots have an aroma identical to cat pee. :( the Nike/adidas Posey bright coloured ones are particularly guilty of this trait!

Give it a year and you will be a dab hand!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

southbucks3 wrote:Just a thought, is your son a big oaf or a nippy little thing?

The nippy little ones will be put on as "backs" in this case you can easily get away with football boots, but with round studs, check regularly for sharp edges....My ds2, has pics of his carved up leg that was the product of sharp worn studs. Footy boots are lighter and have less grip, so good for running.
Should he be a big oaf, he will be a forward, they need to "dig in" as you will hear the more vocal parents shout, for this they need rugby boots, extra front -, slightly longer studs and ankle support.

Feel for me, I need: indoor trainers, outdoor trainers, football boots, rugby boots, astro trainers, climbing shoes, x country spikes, wellies, hiking boots, water shoes.

Many of those times three....I was so naive a few years ago, now we have a huge empty shoe and boot cupboard in the garage with a massive pile of footwear slung in a mishmash of all sizes and types in front of it: :evil: We also have another huge selection waiting for hand me down!
Occasionally a pair of boots gets left in the kitchen, if I don't realise I start blaming the cat for piddling in the house....sweaty, wet, plastic boots have an aroma identical to cat pee. :( the Nike/adidas Posey bright coloured ones are particularly guilty of this trait!

Give it a year and you will be a dab hand!

:lol: southbucks, i couldnt stop laughing.

My son is on the small side, so i will have to watch out. I didnt think the studs will hurt, so this is new to me. So i will have to keep an eye on this..

Thanks, i always enjoyed reading your post.....make me either think or smile. Tc
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

"Occasionally a pair of boots gets left in the kitchen, if I don't realise I start blaming the cat for piddling in the house....sweaty, wet, plastic boots have an aroma identical to cat pee. the Nike/adidas Posey bright coloured ones are particularly guilty of this trait!"

Sb3 thanks for this! I thought my DS must have been leaving his trainers outside a lot and that they had actually been repeatedly peed on by an actual cat. Duh!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello everyone,

Sorry to bother with another question. Do the AGSB require school shoes to have laces. My DS does not want velcro....but wouldnt mind slip ons. And what about heels, is that all right. Could someone advise.

Ta
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Oshosh wrote:Hello everyone,

Sorry to bother with another question. Do the AGSB require school shoes to have laces. My DS does not want velcro....but wouldnt mind slip ons. And what about heels, is that all right. Could someone advise.

Ta
You really need to look at the school's uniform regulations regarding shoe styles - most I've seen just specify black leather (some 'which can be polished') with a low heel, no boots, trainers, canvas shoes, etc. Girls' schools usually also proscribe open-toe / sling-back shoes and so on. I have never seen slip-ons specifically prohibited, but would comment that they do tend to work loose with wear, with no means of adjustment, whereas laces or Velcro fastenings can be adjusted as necessary.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx