School shoes for Y7 at AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DC17C

Re: School shoes for Y7 at AGSB

Post by DC17C »

Have to agree about the adjustablity - my DS and dd have had startrite shoes with velco bought this time last yr. DD says hers still fit so not to bother with a new pair to go back and ds will need a new pair but has gone from size 5 to size 7 with the same shoes fitting comfortably. Remember they are at an age when likely to grow a lot!!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

ToadMum wrote:
Oshosh wrote:Hello everyone,

Sorry to bother with another question. Do the AGSB require school shoes to have laces. My DS does not want velcro....but wouldnt mind slip ons. And what about heels, is that all right. Could someone advise.

Ta
You really need to look at the school's uniform regulations regarding shoe styles - most I've seen just specify black leather (some 'which can be polished') with a low heel, no boots, trainers, canvas shoes, etc. Girls' schools usually also proscribe open-toe / sling-back shoes and so on. I have never seen slip-ons specifically prohibited, but would comment that they do tend to work loose with wear, with no means of adjustment, whereas laces or Velcro fastenings can be adjusted as necessary.

Hello TM,

The induction booklet basically says "conventional black or brown shoes(with matching laces)which are capable of polishing.
Trainers, heavy working boots, suede,patent or fabric shoes are not permitted"

I guess then it has to be laces and heels would be all right.

:?:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

How about these?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/freshfee ... /p22279345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a slip on version as well. My boys also felt Clark's a bit childish, especially as they have very small feet (1 and 2) so the shoes tend to be very 'primary', these go down to a size 13 and are stylish without being clunky, to squashing their feet. Cheaper too!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yamin151 wrote:How about these?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/freshfee ... /p22279345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a slip on version as well. My boys also felt Clark's a bit childish, especially as they have very small feet (1 and 2) so the shoes tend to be very 'primary', these go down to a size 13 and are stylish without being clunky, to squashing their feet. Cheaper too!

Normally a fan of all things M&S in the school line, but DS2 tried on a different pair in their school range whilst trying on trousers (to see whether they were the right length) and complained that they were so uncomfortable that he could hardly walk in them :shock:.

He is a size 5, though (or a 7 in his new trainers and football boots - I did warn the OP about these little quirks and foibles of the sports shoe world :lol: ), so the 'fit may be rather different. For him, we did in back to Clarks and DD will be going back to school in her third pair of Kickers - in the one lace-up design which does comply with her school's regulations (and possibly the OP's - the 'matching laces' rule is probably there to quash the wearing of the versions of that very practical brand which come not only with coloured laces, but coloured top-stitching to boot haha!).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We've found both Ecco and Bootleg (the Clarks offering for teenagers) very good and hard wearing for boys' school shoes. They stand up to playground football and all the rest of it. We've had Velcro and lace up variations here, both of which have been good. I wouldn't buy slip-ons as they become slip-offs. Also, according to the podiatrist my son had to see for a while as his feet were pronating (turning inwards), very bad for your feet as they don't support the instep and ankle. We got severely told off by the podiatrist too for buying cheap, non-supportive badly-fitting trainers in Sports Direct for kicking around in!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Peridot wrote:We've found both Ecco and Bootleg (the Clarks offering for teenagers) very good and hard wearing for boys' school shoes. They stand up to playground football and all the rest of it. We've had Velcro and lace up variations here, both of which have been good. I wouldn't buy slip-ons as they become slip-offs. Also, according to the podiatrist my son had to see for a while as his feet were pronating (turning inwards), very bad for your feet as they don't support the instep and ankle. We got severely told off by the podiatrist too for buying cheap, non-supportive badly-fitting trainers in Sports Direct for kicking around in!

Thanks peridot- never thought of slip ons as slips offs - food for thoughts. However i must say, i have flat feet, could ever only fit into the unstructured range of Clarks- they are a bit boring slip ons,however very comfotable and last long. Well, i will be doing shoe shopping this weekend.....not looking forward to it... :roll: