So quiet here...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Happyface

So quiet here...

Post by Happyface »

Trafford is so quiet (compared to other regions). Do you feel that or is it just me:)
Anyway, sending huge of bundles of good luck to everyone taking the tests in a few days.
edbarnes

Re: So quiet here...

Post by edbarnes »

Hi
I totally agree - was hoping to get more advice/info on the Trafford papers or just reassurance.
I think it all boils down to an element of luck on the day as my dc is never consistent with his marks especially the English - if he's interested in the topic on comprehension he does well but if it's something he's not interested in he scores poorly. Similarly with nvr - some he does easily but other types he struggles with.
Good luck to all the children.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Yes i agree, probably the quietest of all the years i have been following the forum, and typically this year my DS is sitting exams! I am feeling rather nervous fortunately he isnt!! We need OOc for Alty so it is a big ask !, i am preying that the exam is just a little bit easier than the GL papers he has been doing i think i read somewhere in the achives of the forum that this might be the case fingers crossed!!!!! DS is reaching the point now where he is refusing to do anymore or certainly making so much of a fuss we have arguments, to be fair he has worked hard over the holidays i guess! I am quite envious when i hear of children who are so much more willing than mine!! Its been a bit of a battle but it is nearly over as far as the 11plus goes, huge sigh of relief. Next bit is even worse (i have been through once before) waiting for the results, i must refrain from driving DS bonkers asking him over and over about the exam!! At least he wont be expected to do any extra work other than his school work which will be great. Good Luck to our children over the next few weeks and lets give ourselves a pat on the back for all our hard work as well!!
rocky_robin

Post by rocky_robin »

My son is doing Alty and Sale this weekend. He's worked hard over the hols and they have done a little bit at school but not as much as some schools I've been hearing about. Some of his peers have been to private tutors etc. He's been doing some of the Bond and GL tests over the summer

The change to the Alty exam would have worked for him as he gets good marks in English and comprehension and perhaps fares less well in the NVR, does well in the VR but his Maths can be a bit up and down

He's still doing the odd bit to keep ticking over but tonite or tomorrow will probably be the last tests/work he does so he can relax and rest up for the "big day"

He did the mock test at North Cestrian in May and did OK based on their feedback

One big issue was his timing and finishing papers which the practice has certainly sorted out although his average marks are probably on the borderline between passing or not and his age falls into the older category as he's a December birthday, I think it all depends on the day

We shall see, not been through this before. In "my day" everyone sat the 11+ at school and then I sat and passed Manchester Grammar and William Hulme on top. He seems chilled and having been to the open days for Alty, Sale and Wellington Road they all have something to offer
yunny

Post by yunny »

Yes, good luck to all the children who are sitting exams in the following weeks. My dd is sitting Alty this Sat and Loreto on the 27th, we are ooc plus non catholic so I don't know what to think...... will be soooo glad when all over!! :D :shock: :roll:
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

wilmslowmum wrote:We need OOc for Alty so it is a big ask !, i am preying that the exam is just a little bit easier than the GL papers he has been doing i think i read somewhere in the achives of the forum that this might be the case fingers crossed!!!!!
We need OOC for Alty too. I have also heard that the actual tests are slightly easier than the practice GL papers and I am hoping that to be the case. DS has been doing quite well on the practice papers but being OOC I am concerned that 'quite well' might not be enough on the day.
I got quite concerned when I read on here that you needed to be consistently scoring 90-95% on practice papers to stand a chance of OOC at Alty but then someone else said 80-85% was more realistic. Other people have said that the required scores on the day are lower than both of those figures so I don't know what to think, I'm just hoping that it isn't 90-95% in all subject areas :?
edbarnes

Post by edbarnes »

Hi
just wondering if anyone knows the format for Urmston. Is it 50 questions for Maths in 50 mins/30 mins for nvr with 60 questions and 50 mins for English for 50 questions ie same format as the GL practice papers?
Also has anybody got their info pack regarding the assessments yet?
Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I'm not convinced that there is a magic mark on the GL which is indicative of the result in the actual exam. GL papers are super hard and I can't recall that my son was consistently scoring even 80/85% .

At this point in time, the scaremongering and stories reach epic proportions, as does the stress. Nothing more to be done, than just kick back now and give the kids a break before the exams start.

I wish one and all of your children the very best of luck in whichever exams they are taking. I feel for the ones taking the Alty/Sale combo as they are so close together, but then everyone is in the same boat.

For Alty , just allow lots and lots of time, don't even attempt to park anywhere near the school and keep the kids positive. The queues and melee are a bit daunting, but its very well organised. They can't start till every one gets there, so no prizes for being at the front of the queue :lol:

:lol: :D Nearly all over now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now