What is AGGS really like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
enema

Re: What is AGGS really like?

Post by enema »

"...more academically pressured than the boys..."
"...pressurised environment where even if you have performed highly they still ask you how you could improve further..."
"...quite intense..."
"...strict..."
"...it does seem to be a school extremely focused on driving oneself academically..."

Um. I'm beginning to have some doubts about considering AGGS, given the thread's comments - am wondering if the staunch academic side could come to overrule my daughter's sense of freedom and fun? I support high achievement, but as a genuine question, has anyone found this to come at an expense? It would be helpful to hear of experiences from anyone who has regretted sending their child to AGGS, Withington type schools etc.

Also, business environments have transformed beyond recognition in recent years - how entrepreneurial does AGGS encourage its students to be? I have been struck that the only school I have viewed which has mentioned this aspect of future preparation has been the local state comprehensive. I came away from the AGGS open evening feeling like I was back at my own school 30 years ago. I had an uncertain sense of what progression there had been to the current time.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

IMO all the Trafford Grammar schools are very traditional in their outlookl. I got the feeling they have a model that has worked for years so apart from incporating more modern subjects like graphics, IT etc. they have not really moved with the times that much. Subject choices are more limited to reflect academia and exam choices are tradional I dont think they offer BTEC for example.

You know your child best so perhaps look around some of the comps aswell to get a feel for the differences, that said it will always be easier to start at AGGS and then move if itldoesn't suit as getting a place later on would be very difficult.

Hopefully someone whose child goes to AGGS can give more detail about how they encourage budding entrepneurs.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

My son is at AGSB. It is a very traditional type school as well. Gold engraved boards of headboys past,have to ask to remove their blazer in class and so on.

I went to an all girls Convent grammar that had become a comp by the time I was there, but it was very similar in outlook and ethos to the grammar schools and had retained the educational standards to an impressive degree given the mixed intake.

I wouldn't say that attending this type of school squashes the fun out of anyone, certainly my son is enjoying it. Having firm boundaries and rules, in my opinion is beneficial as the children know where they stand and feel secure. And can have fun within the 'confines'.

I don't think either the boys or the girls school would be the place for a true 'free spirit' though, but then you could probably argue that would apply to school in general. :lol:
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Well that description of Altrincham grammar for Boys sounds like just what i want for my DS! My boy thrives on knowing just what is expected of him in a school enviroment. I think entrepneurial skills are often quite a natural gift in an individual which a good education would enhance. My DD went through the other girls grammar school in Altrincham, doesnt sound as pressurized as AGGS she certainly enjoyed it even the scrict dress code and old fashioned values but by the time sixth form came around she really wanted a change. Now she is a the local sixth form mixed ,it is very different and quite refreshing for her however she is happy she had the opportunity to have had a very good education her manners morals and values make me very proud . I can undestand our children wanting to experience a mixed school which is more "fun" but for me i would never give up an opportunity to give my children a grammar school education it sets them up for life. I dont think i will let my DS change sixth form when the time comes i can't see him being quite so self driven as my DD!!!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

enema wrote:"...pressurised environment where even if you have performed highly they still ask you how you could improve further..."
"...quite intense..."
"...strict..."
"...it does seem to be a school extremely focused on driving oneself academically..."
Honestly I do not recognise this description, if anything I would say my daughter gets very little homework and does not feel any pressure that I am aware of and has ample time to waste her time watching Coronation Street ,x-Factor, sleep overs ect

but she is only in yr8 so early days.

most parents are sensible and would only consider AGGS if they felt their daughter was quite academic , I would not say it is the School who are pushing such an academic regime, its us parents that want this!( otherwise we would of begged , borrowed or stolen to get her to WGS,MHSG or The Grange School ! and I am being very honest here :oops: it's not the girls who are overtly competitive it's us the bl--dy parents!! )

the parents get what the parents want and AGGS simply delivers.
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

Catseye wrote:
enema wrote:"...pressurised environment where even if you have performed highly they still ask you how you could improve further..."
"...quite intense..."
"...strict..."
Honestly I do not recognise this description, if anything I would say my daughter gets very little homework and does not feel any pressure that I am aware of and has ample time to waste her time watching Coronation Street ,x-Factor, sleep overs ect

but she is only in yr8 so early days.

most parents are sensible and would only consider AGGS if they felt their daughter was quite academic , I would not say it is the School who are pushing such an academic regime, its us parents that want this!( otherwise we would of begged , borrowed or stolen to get her to WGS,MHSG or The Grange School ! and I am being very honest here :oops: it's not the girls who are overtly competitive it's us the bl--dy parents!! )

the parents get what the parents want and AGGS simply delivers.
My DD started Y9 this year and trust me - it changes! Already doing Grade 'b' gcse revision and encouraged to try grade 'a' type revision too - so it is a vast change!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now