AGSB or MGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

enigma

AGSB or MGS?

Post by enigma »

My DS passed the AGSB... Although his score is quite higher than the lowest OOC score in the past years, it's not yet high enough for me to sit back and relax. We want to get as many options as possible as I'm still in the paranoia of a "what ifs" scenario... we are considering a shot with MGS as my DS is quite an all-rounder with excellence in arts and music and MGS is very close or maybe higher than AGSB academically (?IMO) but I've heard that MGS is lacking of pastoral care... any idea please? Personal experience would be great. Thank you very much, all comments are highly appreciated.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
Altymumof2

Re: AGSB or MGS?

Post by Altymumof2 »

I'm afraid I haven't got any experience of MGS but I have a son in AGSB and I am thrilled with it. The pastoral care is excellent and the standard of the work the boys produce an the exam results are excellent.
I would not say that MGS is more academic than AGSB? I know of boys that have passed MGS but not AGSB but none the other way round and generally there is parity between the 2 schools on their final results.
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

I have also heard of boys who pass MGS but not AGSB. What does that mean statistically? Looking at the GCSE results does it suggest that AGSB have an intake of more academic boys but don't quite achieve the same results as MGS despite their slightly lower (but still very academically able) cohort? Does it tell us anything about value added? It's all very confusing. Is the difference in GCSE results minute?

I am in a similar position to Enigma. My DS has passed AGSB but with an only just OOC score and we are considering MGS due to location and ease of travel (we would have considered it even with a much higher OOC score).
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

don't they do international IGCSES at MGS- are you comparing like with like?
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

Yes, MGS do IGCSEs and last year the statistics that they published showed that (if my memory is accurate) 91% of grades were A* or A. It isn't exactly like for like because of the GCSE / IGCSE difference but what are the actual differences between the two qualifications? I was under the impression that the difficult level was roughly the same and the main difference was that IGCSEs are more exam based and don't have as much coursework.

There is no doubt that both schools are excellent and achieve excellent results but I am confused about the ability level of the intakes and the value added as it is very difficult to find an accurate measure. I was thinking that as some boys who don't pass AGSB manage to secure a place at MGS that the intake at AGSB must be of higher ability, however, as MGS have the boys in for a whole day assessment as well as the exam it is possible that they 'recruit' boys of natural higher ability rather than those who did well in a specific set of tests which they have had lots of practice for.
I think I am confusing myself now :?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I'd say your thoughts about the method of selection for MGS are probably correct, like most indies the test is only part of it and they can afford the time and cost involved in interviewing the boys etc.

The unspoken difference is of course about 10k a year! :lol: :lol:

If you have the choice that's great! We are well out of catchment and MGS would have been a shortish bus ride- but we would have been on bread and water for the next 7 years. I'd have jumped at the chance to send my son there, but I have been completely happy with AGSB in every way.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

I think AGSB is meant to be more academic than MGS isn't it? I think the AGSB entrance exam is certainly meant to be tougher? Both school's have a great reputation.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

miltonkeynes wrote:I think AGSB is meant to be more academic than MGS isn't it? I think the AGSB entrance exam is certainly meant to be tougher?
I think maybe revisit the stats for both schools .

All stats A* and A*/A at gcse and A levels are freely available in the pubic domain( for 2013 and previous years) and past papers from MGS and GL can also be compared.

With respect I think you may change your opinion?

the catchment for MGS is huge they attract the best and brightest form places like the Golden Triangle (Wilmslow, Prestbury and Alderley Edge) as well as Didsbury , Bramhall, Worsley,Knutsford,Lymm ect who do not have access to the Trafford Grammars some come from upto 30 miles out!

The strangest thing is a lot of pupils from Altrincham( particularly from Hale and Bowdon) also go there when they are actually in catchment for Trafford Grammars!

population- wise Trafford is one of the smallest LEA in GM- and has 7 Grammars in a geographically small area -all catchment dependent , no proper super-selectives

So why do you think that any Trafford Grammars are more selective than MGS a top tier Indie School?
Altymumof2

Post by Altymumof2 »

Catseye:
I can only speak for AGSB as DS goes there and is very happy there and we have no complaints at all. I would say that a good third of the children are from out of the Trafford area. I think there were 1300 applying for one of the 179 places at AGSB and 1800 children sat the Sale Grammar exam, so they must be fairly selective? :?:
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

I hadn't realised that so many sat Sale in comparison to AGSB. It does make sense though, seeing as Sale is co-ed.
I think both MGS and AGSB are excellent schools and both are very selective, just that they have different selection processes. I reckon that the majority of the 1300 who sat AGSB live outside of the catchment so the pool they are selecting from covers a vast area.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now