AGSB or Sale?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
localmum

AGSB or Sale?

Post by localmum »

Seeking some inside info on these schools for entry next September. My son has passed for both, we live in Sale and are really struggling with whether AGSB merits the journey/bigger transition and if it is a good choice for OOC when we have a local school option and he won't know anyone at Altrincham.
TIDDLYMUM

Re: AGSB or Sale?

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

What do you want to know? My son is at AGSB, we live much further out than Sale and he didn't know anyone. We chose it over another grammar place because he really liked it. No complaints so far. Sale is just as good and mixed of course, depending on what you want really?
localmum

Post by localmum »

Thanks for replying. Good to hear your son is happy. Did he make friends easily? What is the workload/pressure like? Am thinking there will be more local children who possibly already know each other. Also, he is quite sporty and thinking making the teams may be near impossible given the competition!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

Yes he made friends within a day of two, there will be others in the same boat. I asked that he be put in a form with some other 'onlys' ( this happens after allocation). His mates live all over, mostly Sale and Alty.

Homework is manageable, they work hard but don't think excessive.

Can't give am opinion on sport as my son isn't sporty.

What does he think?
localmum

Post by localmum »

Hi - thanks for your reply. Think he prefers the idea of Sale as will know more people. Difficult to know how much to influence a 10 year old!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I'd take his opinions into account- but in terms of knowing people / friends, they met so many other children that they often end up with new friends after a few weeks anyway. So that would be something I wouldn't give much weight to.

Obviously for very shy/sensitive boys and girls it might make a difference.

It's a win win as both are excellent schools.
localmum

Post by localmum »

Great advice, thanks for all your help
emsy

Post by emsy »

I have children at Sale in Year 10 and Year 12 and both are happy and doing well. They chose Sale over Altrincham although both had more friends going to Altrincham - I was happy to go with their choice as both schools are excellent. I'm not sure about sports teams as neither of them are sporty although there are a lot of lunchtime and after school sports available http://www.salegrammar.co.uk/page/extra ... mme/97/#PE
emsy

Post by emsy »

One difference between the schools is language options - at Sale children do one (French or Spanish depending on which class they are in) which they carry through to GCSE. At AGSB I think they choose two out of three in Year 7 with the option to change one in Year 8 (I'm not certain of this as I don't have a child there). If your son is interested in languages AGSB would give more options.
localmum

Post by localmum »

Thanks both for your replies. Both are brilliant schools, we are v lucky in Trafford. Wondering if more local school will give more opportunities for seeing friends evenings and weekends, I suppose that is a given. Will continue to weigh up so thanks all for the useful info.