St Ambrose Creative Writing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Olliesmum

St Ambrose Creative Writing?

Post by Olliesmum »

Hi Guys! This is my first ever post on the forum, even though I have been a regular reader and follower each week since my DD took the exams 3 years ago. She passed and is now at Loreto. I am very grateful for all the information and advice/suppport we obtained from the forum. My DS is now in year 5 and preparing to take the exams for a few of the grammar schools this September. My question is: Does anyone have experience of the "English exam" at St Ambrose? Specifically the Creative Writing 30 mins section? Is it a choice of titles to choose from (as with Loreto) - or a very specific task?
wilmslowmum

Re: St Ambrose Creative Writing?

Post by wilmslowmum »

Hi Olliesmum, My DS sat St Ambrose last September. He said that there wasn't any creative writing, he did a Maths paper, VR and English. He said the english paper was multiple choice vocab. He was surprised as he was expecting to have to do more! He did creative writing at Altrincham Grammar. Hope this helps.
Last edited by wilmslowmum on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olliesmum

Post by Olliesmum »

Thank you so much Wilmslowmum! That is good news! I was sure I'd been told there would be a piece of continuous prose to complete. Perhaps that was just for Urmston Grammar? It is good news then!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

St Ambrose College Website states that;

'The numbers of intended admissions at First Year (Year 7) is 140 boys, subject to their passing the College's entrance examination, which will consist of a standardised verbal reasoning test; an English exam; a Mathematics exam'.

Please note this says 'verbal reasoning' test and not NVR test (non verbal reasoning) as reported by wilmslowmum.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Oops! Yes sorry I did mean to say VR , there was definately no NVR.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now