North Cestrian

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Valmont

Re: North Cestrian

Post by Valmont »

I was very impressed with the headmasters speech, full of conviction for his school and the pupils. The school is very tiny in comparison to others around 250 at present, with the Sep 16 intake only 125 pupils in 5 classes of 25 (compared to 254 at AOM for example).

Living in Sale this is only an outsider for us. The headmasters stated aim was to fill the places within WA14 first and then purely on distance from the school. Still it will definitely be a second or third choice on the CAF this October.
Slowrunner

Post by Slowrunner »

I have a friend who works at North Cestrian in the admin department and she's confirmed that they won't have an entrance exam for 2016 - apparently free schools aren't allowed to select on ability. She also said that although the catchment area will be WA14, they do expect to be able to take pupils from outside this area depending on demand and places will likely be allocated on distance from the school, so it's probably worth considering if you're outside WA14. We live on the edge of WA14 and will probably consider it as an option for my daughter who is currently yr 5. I understand there will be another open day probably in September so will take her along for a look then.
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

Slowrunner wrote:I have a friend who works at North Cestrian in the admin department and she's confirmed that they won't have an entrance exam for 2016 - apparently free schools aren't allowed to select on ability. She also said that although the catchment area will be WA14, they do expect to be able to take pupils from outside this area depending on demand and places will likely be allocated on distance from the school, so it's probably worth considering if you're outside WA14. We live on the edge of WA14 and will probably consider it as an option for my daughter who is currently yr 5. I understand there will be another open day probably in September so will take her along for a look then.
This can't be right as how would AGSB/AGGS/Ambrose get away with it?
rosetinted

Post by rosetinted »

Mr147 wrote:
Because they aren't free schools.
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

rosetinted wrote:
Mr147 wrote:
Of course they are free schools, so back to my original point 8)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mr147 wrote:
rosetinted wrote:
Mr147 wrote:
Of course they are free schools, so back to my original point 8)
Free Schools, with capital letters, so to speak. Presumably the comment was tongue in cheek...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

...and of course, if it was set up as a faith Free School (as opposed to a faith-free school?), they would be able to select up to ?50% on faith once they were oversubscribed. Variety of (parents') imaginary friend being acceptable as a discriminator, academic ability not. Presumably the school in question is going to be a 'free house' sort of Free School, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

Because no new schools are allowed to be Grammar schools?. I think dropping 'Grammar' from the name was one of the conditions it had to follow to get through the free school process.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now