Aggs distance for offers this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TizWoz

Aggs distance for offers this year?

Post by TizWoz »

Hi all

According to trafford admissions, offers went further out this year. Any ideas as to whether that's due to the new exam?

I'm wondering whether this is likely to be the new trend?

Really appreciate if anybody could shed light? It's made me hopeful dd may be in with a chance now when she sits in a couple of years..

Thank you ☺️
Last edited by TizWoz on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
enema

Re: Aggs distance for offers this year?

Post by enema »

11 miles? If correct, incredible. The new exam is the only explanation. I imagine if this is the distance this year and they keep the catchment of 8 miles, they might have to change the weightings or pass mark. Is such a catchment justifiable from the LA perspective due to extending well beyond Trafford?

11 miles encompasses all of Trafford, most of Manchester, Northwich, Warrington, all of Salford...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

curiouser and curiouser :shock:

So have more local girls been squeezed out by those further afield ?
Saffi

Post by Saffi »

Hi All!! We are 6.4 miles away, and we have 2 friends one at 8.3 mile and one at 11ish miles. All 3 girls have places. Still in shock, as i only put AGGS down as first choice off the cuff, given the fact that they had never been beyond 5.2 miles. Still Not to sure how CEM was that different from GL.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I still do not understand this.

How can they state they have a catchment distance of 8 mile radius(as the crow flys) but be making offers at >11miles at first allocations?

So effectively becoming a true super-selective where only the score counts and distance(catchment) is irrelevant :?
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

Like everyone else i am shocked that the distance has mutated to 11 Miles. I am struggling to work out how this could happen, so much so that out of interest i used the as the crow flies calculator to show me an 11 mile radius from the school and it is truly shocking the locations it encompasses.

I am not saying I have an issue with it although i would understand the position of some Trafford parents if they took exception, i am just trying to understand it. If it hadn't been for the introduction of CEM i would discount it immediately, however has CEM changed it all this year....so:

1) Are the parents whose daughter got offered places (8 miles, 11 miles etc)using an AS the crow flies calculator, if not are they using the road network (e.g. AA route map)it makes a huge difference !!

2) Has the standardisation technique penalised a category of children older/younger surely if not point (1) then what else can it be???
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

workerbee wrote:2) Has the standardisation technique penalised a category of children older/younger surely if not point (1) then what else can it be???
Like everyone else i am shocked that the distance has mutated to 11 Miles. I am struggling to work out how this could happen, so much so that out of interest i used the as the crow flies calculator to show me an 11 mile radius from the school and it is truly shocking the locations it encompasses.

I am not saying I have an issue with it although i would understand the position of some Trafford parents if they took exception, i am just trying to understand it. If it hadn't been for the introduction of CEM i would discount it immediately, however has CEM changed it all this year....so:

1) Are the parents whose daughter got offered places (8 miles, 11 miles etc)using an AS the crow flies calculator, if not are they using the road network (e.g. AA route map)it makes a huge difference !!

2) Has the standardisation technique penalised a category of children older/younger surely if not point (1) then what else can it be???
An error?

If they do not respect their own catchment criteria why stop at 11miles why not select on the basis of rank alone to 100miles?

Soon we will be having posters wanting car shares form Birmingham :lol:

Whats going on!!! CEM or GL is not the point but AGGS complete disregard for its own admissions policy.

QE here we come to be the most selective school in the UK.
enema

Post by enema »

My 5.4 miles is as the crow flies.

DD took a GL exam immediately after the AGGS CEM one, so no change to academic ability between dates. Got v high marks on GL exam, passed AGGS 20 marks above pass mark but not close to max marks. CEM exam difficulty level is the altered variable. AGGS has historically used GL.

I would like to know the long term predicted impact on the indies, and will AGGS fill all the 174 places this year.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

No that still does not work.
My understanding is/was only those within the 8mile catchment are eligible for entry(otherwise why stipulate a catchment area), in other words the top 30% ish pass from those sitting the 11+for AGGS from within the catchment.

CEM or GL is irrelevant to this discussion.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

My understanding is/was only those within the 8mile catchment are eligible for entry(otherwise why stipulate a catchment area)
That isn't right - girls in catchment get priority on the over-subscription criteria - thats all. It doesn't mean that if you don't live in catchment you're not eligible - you just come further down the pecking order.

If it has gone to 11 miles, it just means they've offered to everyone in catchment who passed, and still have places available to offer to girls outside of the catchment area. Its all set out in the admissions policy.