Trafford 11+ anxious parents' thread..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sephy1

Re: Trafford 11+ anxious parents' thread..

Post by Sephy1 »

Aww I'm sorry that your ds came out feeling like that. On a positive note I don't think it's the end of the world if he missed a few but I understand why he felt bad.
So are you in catchment for Stretford?
We are OOC for all of them but fingers crossed he does well enough to get in somewhere.
Is your ds taking the Ambrose test or has he finished now?
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

Thanks Tiddlymum, that is interesting. I think my ds felt that SA was less intimidating somehow - maybe due to the modern layout etc, plus we got to speak to one of the guides on the open day who was an existing Y7 boy, he was exceptionally candid (probably too much for the school's liking!) but his honesty really set my ds at ease.
I like the multicultural aspect of AGSB too. My worry was that my ds wouldn't fit in due to background - we aren't in the most affluent of areas or the richest and I think that was my ds's concern that he wouldn't 'fit in' with all the posh kids! However, what you have said makes me feel better. (Not that we might have the choice anyway but ykwim).
Thanks
wangxiaosara

Post by wangxiaosara »

Yes, we are in the catchment of Stretford, however Urmston is closer to our house (not in the catchment with Urmston). So personally we prefer Urmston. Hopefully he is lucky enough to get a place there. We just have to wait and see. :wink:

He is not taking st Ambrose exam. So no more exams :P
Sephy1 wrote:Aww I'm sorry that your ds came out feeling like that. On a positive note I don't think it's the end of the world if he missed a few but I understand why he felt bad.
So are you in catchment for Stretford?
We are OOC for all of them but fingers crossed he does well enough to get in somewhere.
Is your ds taking the Ambrose test or has he finished now?
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

I really liked Urmston too. If it were closer it would be one of our top choices as we all got a good feeling about the place and I had a chat with the head who was lovely. I did feel that Stretford was in need of some TLc But I don't think that has any bearing on the quality of teaching or results.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Workerbee - was 355 the out of catchment score at AGSB this year? It was reported by Trafford on their admissions page as 341?

For what its worth, my son also passed both last year (St Ambrose and AGSB) and is now at AGSB. For once I agree with Catseye :D that if your son is capable of passing AGSB then he should definitely pass St Ambrose. The test at SA is much easier than the AGSB exam. The sporting facilities at SA are brilliant (my DS was so impressed with the pool) particularly if your DS is rugby oriented, and the new building as a whole is impressive. The school comes across as quite modern. AGSB is still seen as more traditional I think, more academically stretching and the results are better - that's not to say however that SA doesn't get very good results, it does.

I think last year was unusual - since the school was improved, there have been very few (if any) non-Catholic boys offered places. A very small number have got places on appeal and via the sibling rule. This year several of DS' friends were offered places and have started there - non-Catholic boys without siblings. I'd suggest therefore that if you're RC and your DS passes, you're pretty much guaranteed a place!
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

Mandy21 - For entry this month the OOC score was 341 (There were 7 classes), hence the 7th class allowed the OOC score to reduce to the lowest level seen. For the exam just taken with entry September 2017 there is only 6 classes (confirmed by admissions). Therefore the same number of in catchment boys will get places but less OOC boys hence the score goes up. In previous years with a 6 class entry approx 355 +/-3 is the number.

It is just going to be a really tough year to get entry, the boys are going to have to score big to gain entry OOC.
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

Hi Mandy - when you say more academically stretching, what do you mean? Does AGSB have significantly better GCSE results? From the research I've done it looks like they are much the same in fact the 2016 results for SA are better than AGSB. I know the girls' school is better than the boys but I thought the boys' are pretty much equal in academic achievement..
Sports facilities are amazing at both I agree.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I haven't looked at this year's results, so you may well be right, but AGSB is tougher to get into and so (arguably) takes brighter boys (I am sure there are people with a different opinion but I can only give you my experience). Of the boys who took the SA exam from my DS' school this time last year, I think all but 1 passed (I think 20 or so took it). Those same boys also took the AGSB exam, and I think 11 passed.

I've just had a quick look at the governments results table comparing like for like and A level performance is given by a number of criteria but the number of candidates getting AAB in 2 or more facilitating subjects is 50% at AGSB and 19% at SA.
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

Hi Mandy, yes I know what you mean and I agree that obviously the standard of test must mean that brighter boys are given places on the whole. I suppose I just wondered whether that actually meant that the standard of work was more difficult as a result. Based on the GCSEs results maybe not but clearly the A level results are a different story...anyway it's all hypothetical anyway til we get those results! Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's all v interesting
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Mandy21 wrote:For once I agree with Catseye
A result! I feel honoured :)
Sephy1 wrote: really liked Urmston too.
Do Urmston still accept the top 20 for automatic entry irrespective of catchment?

It was my favourite school in Trafford but we settled for AGGS since it's within walking distance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now