Trafford 11+ anxious parents' thread..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sephy1

Trafford 11+ anxious parents' thread..

Post by Sephy1 »

Hi all
Been lurking here for some time now - ds has sat the Trafford consortium test, AGSB and will do St Ambrose on Saturday. His tutor has finished now after a year and it seems a bit of an 'end of an era' type feeling!
I know there is a while to wait for results now and frankly I think my husband is sick of talking about it so I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone is feeling like me!
Ds is feeling quite confident at the moment and has come out of each test relatively positively which I am taking as a good sign - not necessarily of his obtaining a good enough pass but at least a sign that I he doesn't feel under too much pressure overall.
He left out 9 questions on the Trafford test and 4 on the AGSB one due to running out of time.
Do you think this is acceptable and he still has a chance?
We are OOC for all 3 but are RC.
How are others' kids getting on?
Catseye

Re: Trafford 11+ anxious parents' thread..

Post by Catseye »

AGSB is a tough one for OOC boys.

But St Ambrose should be a 'shoo in' for any boy who is anywhere near the in catchment score of 334 for AGSB- SA is not that academically selective and you already fulfil the most important selection criteria being R.C :D

You will have to wait for Tiddlymum who is our resident expert on both school.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I don't know anything about the Trafford test as that didn't exist when my son did it back in 2008 :o but 4 on the AGSB test is not very many at all. Good luck for St Ambrose, my son found that easier than AGSB. We were out of catchment too, he passed the two he sat but chose AGSB. Both lovely schools though .
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

From what I have read on here it seems that if he gets over 320 in the SA test then he's got a good chance of getting a place since he's in the 4th admissions policy category, whereas to have a reasonable chance of ASGB as an OOC boy he'd have to score about 370... Is that about right?
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

OOC score in years where there is a 6 form entry is around the 355 level (such as this year). Of course 370 would provide that level of comfort, 1st March can seem a long way off in October. My daughter missed the last 4 questions out (time pressure) on the NVR a couple of years ago and still got a good score. A score which would have passed OOC at the boys school, so I agree it's nothing to worry too much about, especially if it meant all other questions were answered thoroughly.

Was it NVR that your son missed the 4 questions out ?
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

Tiddlymum: do you mind me asking, is there any particular reason your ds chose agsb over SA? I know that AGSB is probably the one with the better rep generally but my ds seems more taken with SA. I don't really know why exactly... And that one would be more convenient in a few ways for us.

Worker bee - yea it was 1 maths and 3 NVR
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

Missing a question on Maths is certainly no crime they are tough papers, 3 on NVR doesn't sound too bad. Did he run out of time and not mark answer.
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

He marked something (randomly) so still a Chance of getting it right!

He was pretty happy with his creative writing piece too.
wangxiaosara

Post by wangxiaosara »

Hi Sephy1,

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been posting here since last Monday, but everyone seems so quite this time. :(

My DS said the AGSB's test was tough, he left 5 question on maths due to runned out of time. Maths has always been his strongest, and for the GL practice packs, he always getting over 85%. So he came out and was quite upset. We live in Stretford, ooc, so he may not manage to get a place anyway.

For the Trafford one, he thinks he did ok, finished all the questions, but had to guessed a few for the VR.

Finger crossed and anxious waiting.
Sephy1 wrote:Hi all
Been lurking here for some time now - ds has sat the Trafford consortium test, AGSB and will do St Ambrose on Saturday. His tutor has finished now after a year and it seems a bit of an 'end of an era' type feeling!
I know there is a while to wait for results now and frankly I think my husband is sick of talking about it so I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone is feeling like me!
Ds is feeling quite confident at the moment and has come out of each test relatively positively which I am taking as a good sign - not necessarily of his obtaining a good enough pass but at least a sign that I he doesn't feel under too much pressure overall.
He left out 9 questions on the Trafford test and 4 on the AGSB one due to running out of time.
Do you think this is acceptable and he still has a chance?
We are OOC for all 3 but are RC.
How are others' kids getting on?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Sephy. We let him make his own decision. We all would have been happy with either ( remember at that time the new school hadn't been built so you aren't comparing like with like).

I personally leant towards St Ambrose, because I am a practicing Catholic and had attended a single sex faith school myself and had a lovely time. However my son just preferred AGSB, he didn't really articulate why so we just went with it.

Probably the key difference ( educationally they are both excellent schools with I would say little to mark them apart) is the diversity of the boys. My son has developed friendships with boys of all backgrounds and faiths, which he may not have had as much opportunity to do at St Ambrose. I would also say that there seems to be no snobbery at AGSB in terms of how rich your family are or not- the main thing the boys admire is academic achievement.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now