Trafford results thread...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Time doesn't fly

Re: Trafford results thread...

Post by Time doesn't fly »

Sorry, meant to add, well done to your son aswell!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

lambanana wrote:Hello Trafford, your thread is very informative thank you. I was a real grammar school enthusiast before taking my son through this process. My son has passed for grammar school entry in our area (Wirral), but I am left feeling that it has been a tremendous amount of work and it seems rather random to assess children in this way. Whilst exploring your thread I wondered, how can a child take the same exam and be good enough for one school and not another? I feel very disillusioned with the process in general, and am wondering, has anyone else has lost confidence in the point of it whilst they've been going along?

A very well done to all the children mentioned on this thread, and all you parents too, who have had the perseverance to see these last few months through. Whatever your child's scores are, if they sat for the papers, you all frankly deserve a medal.

With Best Wishes, good luck and hope that you all get the schools you wanted.

BW your Wirral neighbour
The simple answer to 'How can they be good enough for one school and not another?' is that it is not the same sub-cohort being compared for each one.

I think that for the schools which make up the 'consortium' in Trafford, the option is either just to be considered for the school at which your child sits the exam, or for all the schools? So for each school, the cohort your child's raw score is being standardised in with consists of (candidates sharing scores with all schools) plus (candidates only wanting to be considered at that school). Obviously, the first group is the same each time, but the second group will differ for each school and their numbers and scores will have a lesser or greater effect on the standardisation and rankings. And yes, differential weighing would also change things, but I'm slightly surprised that you aren't told how the final scores are calculated and whether each school has it done the same way.

(An alternative way of doing it would be to standardise the whole cohort together then give rankings within the individual schools' cohorts as above, but since scores, not rankings, for each school are being discussed here, I would assume that this is not the way they do it).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
dana73

Post by dana73 »

Hello,
My son scored 362 in AGSB we currently live in WA14 post code and moving to WA15 in two months, will he get a place in Alty boys?
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

"The simple answer to 'How can they be good enough for one school and not another?' is that it is not the same sub-cohort being compared for each one."
But there is also a difference in weighting which I assume is why despite the average seems to be that the same raw mark on the same test will give a standardised score about 5 marks higher for Sale than AGGS the occasional child will pass AGGS and not Sale. The weightings aren't published but it appears to me that AGGS may weight verbal reasoning more heavily than Sale.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dana73 wrote:Hello,
My son scored 362 in AGSB we currently live in WA14 post code and moving to WA15 in two months, will he get a place in Alty boys?
What does it say in the schools admissions policy / the Trafford 'moving up to secondary school' website? Different areas have quite different rules for the final date for moving to be counted as 'in catchment', ranging from six months before CAF submission for one school in Buckinghamshire to two months or so after, as it is for our LA (Southend on Sea).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

The "priority area" i.e. the catchment area for AGSB is some parts of M33, and then the parts of WA13, WA14 and WA15 that are within Trafford. Are you within Trafford with your WA14 postcode? If you are, then moving from WA14 (within Trafford) to WA15 (within Trafford) makes no difference as you're already within catchment. If you're not currently in Trafford, then its set out in the admission policy what happens.